Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint a marble vanity top?

RenoRaine
Finding My Feet

Can you paint a marble vanity top?

I have a marble vanity top that I can't stand and have been quoted more than I expected to get it replaced with timber, so I've decided to wait a while until I can renovate the whole bathroom. 

In the meantime, is it possible to paint marble using the Dulux tile paint? 

1000005284.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint marble vanity top

Hello @RenoRaine 

Thanks for sharing your question about your marble vanity top. Marble being a porous material is not similar to tiles. Plus, it might have a sealer applied to its surface and when sanded down will open the surfaces porosity. 

Allow me to make some inquiries if the Dulux renovation range will work on a marble surface. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

As an alternative, I suggest having a look at using Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Wood Parquet Self Adhesive Film on your vanity top. This will at least cover the marble and change its appearance.  

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you paint a marble vanity top?

Hello @RenoRaine 

Thank you for your patience, the Dulux technical team don't recommend using the Dulux Renovation Range on your vanity top. Due to the marbles surface composition the paint tends to produce micro cracks on the surface. My only other suggestion is to either change your vanity or replace your vanity top with a timber top.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Thank you @EricL, I mentioned why I can't change the vanity top in my initial post. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RenoRaine 

My apologies, totally forgot about the high quote that was given to you by the trade's person. Have you thought about putting the job on Hipages or Airtasker to get another quote? Once you've gathered the resources to have your bathroom renovated, please keep us updated. I'm sure our members will be keen to see how you'll transform your bathroom.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects