Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you put a heat pump dryer on a laminate bench?

Sbaber
Just Starting Out

Can you put a heat pump dryer on a laminate bench?

Hi All,

I have bought a heat pump dryer and there is not enough space in my laundry to put that side by side with the washing machine. The washing machine is under the laminate bench, so I am planning to put the dryer on the laminate bench, but just wondering if that laminate bench would be able to handle that load. 

The depth of the bench is same as the dryer and width wise it is larger as well, but I am just concerned about the weight of the dryer. Can anyone please suggest something or let me know if laminate bench would be able to sustain the weight (Picture attached).Laundry.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you put a heat pump dryer on a laminate bench?

Hello @Sbaber 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your dryer.

Before placing your dryer on your benchtop, the first safety measure I suggest is reinforcing the benchtop underneath with angle brackets especially if it has no cabinets underneath. I recommend putting two at the end and one in the middle, preferably where the stud is located. I also propose adding more screws to the cabinet where the benchtop is screwed into.

The second safety measure I suggest is the use of Whites On-Site 100 x 15mm Rubber Anti Vibration Mat. This will lessen the vibrations on the benchtop and prevent the dryer from sliding. 

The third safety measure I recommend is to make sure that the dryer exhaust is not pointed to the back wall or to the benchtop. If you are having it ducted that is the safest way to vent the heat, but if not make sure it is venting from the front and that your laundry exhaust fan in the room is set to maximum.

To prevent injury, please make sure to wear gloves and have a second pair of hands when lifting the dryer into position. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sbaber
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric for your response. I am already planning to use the mat, the same dimension as the dryer, but not the one you mentioned. I will check these one as well. Regarding third safety measure, you mentioned having it ducted, can you please elaborate further, what do you mean by that ? 

I will put the angle brackets as well as you suggested.

Cheers,

Baber.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sbaber 

Ducting your dryer means that the hot air is directed out through your wall or through your window by using Pacific Air DIY Dryer Venting Kit or Pacific Air Heavy Duty Dryer Venting Kit. A straight through wall option is the Builders Edge Through The Wall Dryer Vent Kit. These are the kits you can use to redirect the dryer's hot air.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects