Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Aquanamel on tiles in bathroom?

Cat234
Finding My Feet

Can you use Aquanamel on tiles in bathroom?

Hello, I'm hoping this hasn't been answered somewhere else - i couldn't find it if it was!

A while ago i was painting a kitchen splashback and a tradie recommended using dulux maximum adhesion primer, and then Dulux aquanamel over the top. I did it in the kitchen and it's been pretty much fine for over two years, though i have had some minor peeling in the very wet area just behind the sink. 

I still have a lot left over and was considering doing my bathroom tiles. I was wondering if that's a really bad idea - i can see that most people have used rustoleum or the dulux renovation paint in their bathrooms in the threads here. Is aquanamel just not really suited to the job in a really wet area? What is the difference between it and the renovation range?  

Any advice much appreciated! It would be great to save cash and just use the paint i have, but I don't want to use the aquanamel if its just going to create a big mess to fix up later! 

Thanks very much 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use Aquanamel on tiles in bathroom?

Hello @Cat234 

Thanks for sharing your question about Aquanamel paint. Dulux Aquanamel is a fantastic product and provides excellent protection for window trims, door trims, doors and trims in general. But your description of the minor peeling near your sink should tell you that it has limitations.

The Dulux 1L Renovation Range Tiles & Benchtops Gloss White has been specifically formulated to go on tiles. It is easy to apply and provides a beautiful, durable, scratch, chip and scuff-resistant finish that you can achieve yourself. So, there is no second guessing if this product will work or not.

From a renovation point of view, it would be better to use a tested product rather than mixing products that will yield unpredictable results.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @Peggers and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects