Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use coloured grout as render/microcement?

Meg01
Just Starting Out

Can you use coloured grout as render/microcement?

We have a tiled inset bath area - tiles are just ceramic white tiles in great condition. I love the look of coloured microcement render and have been told that it is possible to render over tiles. We've found a microcement supplier but it ships from Europe and is eye wateringly expensive. Coloured grout seems to be made of the same thing - so my question is, can we use coloured grout as render over these tiles? If not, does anyone know of a microcement product that I don't have to sell a kidney for? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use coloured grout as render/microcement?

Hello @Meg01

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about using grout as a render.

Unfortunately, grout does not have what is called structural stability in large unsupported areas. It's great for filling small gaps to a maximum of 8mm but nothing beyond that. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Does Bunnings have a microcement product for use over tiles in the bathroom? by @MsGoGo. Sadly, the store does not have microcement as a regular line item.

However, you'll see in the discussion that I mentioned that it is possible to render over tiles. But rendering over tiles has its own set of conditions that you'll need to consider. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects