Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use push-on fittings for permanent plumbing?

carlyk
Getting Established

Can you use push-on fittings for permanent plumbing?

I have done a bit of research and would love peoples thoughts on push on fittings like smartex or shark bite, in plumbing, I need to make a change in my laundry and want to run new pipes and was going for the push connectors but people think they are more just a temporary not permanent connector?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: thoughts on push on fittings for plumbing

Hello @carlyk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about plumbing fittings.

Both SmarteX and Sharkbite are very good push connector fittings. Both products are approved for behind-the-wall fitting as long as they are installed correctly and in accordance with the local code. I suggest checking with your local council on the rules and regulations about what type of plumbing fitting is approved in your area before you start your project. 

I've consulted with some of my plumbing colleagues on this issue and they believe that using push-type fittings for temporary or emergency situations is ok. Using it for exposed connections is also acceptable, but for long-term in-wall fitting, they still recommend using traditional brazed copper fittings. 

Let me call on our experienced members @MikeTNZ, @TedBear, and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your plumbing fittings installed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @carlyk,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop!

Thanks for your thread, are these pipes going to be installed permanently in the walls? (as in through the studs?)

The biggest downfall of any system like this is where people that install pipe-work without proper elbows and expect the pipe itself

to bend less than it's design minimum bend radius.

It would be extremely helpful if you could please post some pictures of what is installed now and possibly some arrows and the like (using Paint or some other application) to show us how you want it to look after it is finished?

I'm more than willing to help you through this, plumbing this sort of thing can be difficult if you've never attempted it before.

While I'm an Electrician, I have done lots of install work on electrical things that also require water fed to them.

My advice first off, if you want to do this properly, buy the proper tube cutter, you need to make Square cuts to the end of the piping

before it is fitted into any sort of connector, this is the main reason that leaks happen when people try to use the scissors or the hacksaw

or even the grinder.

Also bear in mind that these types of connectors are single fit only, especially Shark-bite and Hepworth fittings, you have one chance

to connect them, often if that gets messed up it is necessary to replace both the connector and the section of pipe.

Like I said, if you need further advice, by all means, let us know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

TheycallmeSteve
Finding My Feet

DIY Bathroom reno

Gday guys,

doing a bathroom reno on a budget, what are peoples thoughts on the whole pex push fittings/ sharkbite fittings etc. its a 1928 house with the last reno done to the house in the 60's. will be completely rearranging where showers, bath and vanity are placed. are the pex push fittings reliable behind walls for permanent use? old man has done it for water in the shed few years ago and it worked great. just not sure how it would go for a full bathroom reno. adapting to existing feed cold and hot water feed into the bathroom 

cheers Steve

Re: DIY Bathroom reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TheycallmeSteve. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about push fittings.

As luck would have it, we've just discussed these fittings. Check out Thoughts on push on fittings for plumbing by @carlyk

Pex/Sharkbite fittings are used daily in the construction industry for permanent installations. As long as they are installed by a professional and leak tested before the wall is closed up, then they are a reliable option.

The only place I'd be slightly concerned about using them is in a bathroom behind a waterproof layer that you can't access from the other side of the wall. You don't want to end up in a situation where to access a leaking pex fitting the tiles and waterproofing has to come off.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

yeah okay, so long as there installed correctly at the correct depth into the fitting its a reliable option?? and yes if really need to, i can access the pex fittings from the outside as its only a cladding house so be easier to access that way then ripping bathroom apart. im just amazed how such a simple push fitting just doesnt leak what so ever! is there really any particulars in the way of fitting it with there copper push on fitting onto very old copper lines?? is there any tips or tricks you would recommend for these fittings? cheers Steve 

@TheycallmeSteve,

These products require installation by a qualified plumber, so I'm unable to provide any specific installation instructions. However, for the very old copper lines, your plumber will likely select an undamaged section and place a clean cut through it. They'd then clean the surface up with some fine sandpaper to remove any deposits before installing the Pex to copper fitting. As long as the plumber can find an uncrimped section of copper pipe, installation shouldn't be an issue for them.

Hopefully some our members will be able to provide some tips and tricks. Let me mention @MikeTNZ to see if he has any thoughts. 

These fittings have been around for many years and in the beginning I too was scepticle. However, due to the way they are designed once installed correctly, they only bite on harder if you try to pull them apart.

Mitchell

carlyk
Getting Established

Hey @MikeTNZ  thank you for the info, I hope the pic comes through, so what I have 4 copper pipes coming down, I want to fix them up in the roof and only have 2 (1 hot 1 cold) for a laundry sink and washing machine (under counter ) fittings. So what I was think is the blue line put in an extra stud and run the pex down as 1 piece to the connectors so I have no joints behind the Wall and to always make sure the cut is square 

8BC5F25A-3515-4CE5-BE0E-C9722C9F31DE.jpeg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @carlyk ,

Personally, if it were my house, I would engage the services of a qualified plumber, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, as @MitchellMc, mentioned some water services require this, as it needs to be pressure tested before the wall linings are re-instated,

no-one wants a leak in the walls after all the finishing work has taken place, that is false economy defined.

Secondly, you have existing copper pipework, a qualified plumber will be able to re-route these pipes and lengthen/shorten them as required

and it may mean you don't need to add a lot of pipework in the end.

Any joints you have anyway will need to be hot soldered, this is NOT a DIY thing if you're not confident doing this and don't want to set fire to 

the wall timbers.

If you require further advice, by all means, post up a reply.

Thanks,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use push-on fittings for permanent plumbing?

Hi @MikeTNZ

Let me tag @carlyk to make sure they see your recommendations. Thank you very much for adding that extra information about hot soldering. I totally agree hot soldering is not a skill you can master overnight, it takes time and a lot of practice. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects