Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does new wet area plaster board require sealing prior to laying tiles?

Crackers1
Finding My Feet

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does new wet area plaster board require sealing prior to laying tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Crackers1. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question about tiling over wet area plasterboard.

No sealer is required when tiling over a product like Aquacheck in an area that doesn't require a waterproofing membrane. The Building Code of Australia specifies which walls, floors, junctions and penetrations are to be treated as waterproof or water-resistant.  However, if you are using it in an area that traditionally requires a waterproofing membrane, like a shower recess, then yes it does need to be sealed and that sealer would be your membrane. Here's the residential installation guide for Gyprock products. You'll find requirements for moisture resistant plasterboards on page 47.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. The area involved is the splashback behind the laundry trough and up to the overhaed cupboards which to my knowledge requires tiles or the like but not waterproof membrane. I do also have an area opposite above another bench that I  will be tiling which consists of previously painted wet area plaster. I do believe I am better off placing villaboard on this prior to tiling to achieve a better adhesion. Would you agree?

Hi @Crackers1,

Personally, I'd add a membrane behind the tiles on the splashback just to be safe. It might not technically be needed, but any water that sits on the bench and gets wicked into the grout will transfer into the plasterboard. The plasterboard will probably be fine with a bit of water as that's what it is designed for, but better safe than sorry.

I'd recommend sheeting the painted plasterboard. If you think about it, all the tile and adhesive weight is hanging off paint. If the paint lets go, so do your tiles.

Mitchell

Yeh I do think that is the way to go and with plenty of membrane compound left, I may as well use it.

Cheers Mitchell.

Looking forward to seeing your results @Crackers1. Keep us updated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects