Workshop
Ask a question

How to connect washing machine to faucet?

BenM
Just Starting Out

How to connect washing machine to faucet?

I’m having problems trying to connect my washing machine to the faucet. It surprises me that this kind of finish is allowed. I just moved into this rental property, newly constructed about 5 years ago so unfortunately I can’t make any changes. 

Firstly the faucet is facing upwards. It means the hose has a kink when trying to connect to the faucet which will obstruct water flow.

Secondly the faucet is not the standard washing machine size, it’s too small. I’ve had to buy plumbers tape and a thread adapter to make the washing machine hose fit.

Lastly the hose can only go through these two holes on the side of sink cabinet. I can’t run the hose directly down to connect to the top of the faucet, therefore meaning I have no way of removing the kink.

Any advice? My only thought is to get a longer hose so that the kink can be removed. Is it even possible to get a longer hose for the washing machine?

This isn’t something I normally look for when inspecting a property, especially when you only get 10 minutes and are inspecting with 50 other people in this Sydney market! 

I’m almost tempted to classify this as a fault with the property and take it up with the landlord.

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Ben

IMG_2062.jpeg

IMG_2065.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Has anyone else dealt with such a silly laundy faucet? Have never seen such bad thinking.

Hi @BenM,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I agree with you that it is a strange place to put the tap, however there is likely an easy solution.

If you have enough slack on the hose, you could route it up and to the right of the tap like in the below image.

This more gradual change in direction will allow better waterflow through the hose.

If you don't have enough slack on the hose, there are longer options for these hoses such as Kinetic 2m Washing Machine and Dishwasher Inlet Hose or Kinetic 4m Double Ended Washing Machine / Dishwasher Inlet Hose that would make it possible.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects