Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help! I tried to drill a hole in my laundry wall and hit metal

BadAnalysis
Getting Established

Help! I tried to drill a hole in my laundry wall and hit metal

I wanted to install a towel rack above the laundry sink. Being the genius that I am, I didn't worry about little things like wall studs, pipes, etc. Once I began drilling I only managed to penetrate a few mm before going into metal. Since I didn't have any experience (I know, the benefit of hindsight) I pushed too hard and began drilling into the metal. I've read that in some cases builders put metal plates behind parts of the wall to prevent idiots (me) from drilling holes in important areas. Is that what I've done or have I come close to busting a pipe?

Additionally, I thought the wall was just plasterboard however it is very thin. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Images attached.

A humble thank you.

edit: Could it be a metal stud behind Villaboard?

CloseupCloseupWallWall

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help! I tried to drill a hole in my laundry wall and hit metal

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BadAnalysis. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about drilling holes in walls.

Do you happen to know if your house is of a metal or timber frame construction? If it's a metal stud house, then I'd say you have almost undoubtedly drilled into a metal stud.

The good news is that it appears to be steel and not copper. If it were copper and a water pipe, I would have expected you to drill straight through it and it would be a different colour. However, it could still be an older galvanised steel water pipe.

Hopefully, if it is a water pipe, you haven't drilled too far into it, compromising the sidewall. Before continuing your project, I'd suggest you pick yourself up a stud finder.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure if it is a stud. If I thump the wall it sounds very hollow. About 20cm to the right there is definitely a stud or at least something thick and solid.

To determine what you've hit, you'd need to cut a small section of the Villaboard away to inspect the area @BadAnalysis. That's likely not a bad idea, as it would be good to know if it was a pipe and if it was now compromised.

Mitchell

How well would a cheap stud finder work? The reviews of the cheap ones aren't very encouraging so I'm uncertain. My landlord gave me permission to mount a towel rack, I don't think they'd be impressed if I started hacking chunks out of the wall.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BadAnalysis

If you're having second thoughts about investing in a stud finder, I suggest a classical tool to help you find the metal studs in your house. I recommend using Everhang 12mm Rare Earth Disc Magnet. I suggest wrapping it in a single layer of masking tape with a bit left over to form a handhold. 

Please note that these are not play magnets and should not be given to children. Please treat them with the same respect as you would with regular tools. 

Just like using a stud finder, gently pass the magnet over the wall in a zig-zag pattern. You'll feel a very strong tug when you're over a steel stud. You'll feel the start of the stud as the magnet hooks itself and will be very difficult to move when you're in the middle.  It then gets easier as you go past the stud. Once you find your studs, you can then mount your towel rail.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

BadAnalysis
Getting Established

That's odd. The metal seems not to be ferromagnetic. Interestingly the faucet is the same. I've tried the magnet on many other objects and it certainly works.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BadAnalysis

Have you tried to look for metal mounting screws in the plaster as you were swinging the magnet? That's another thing you can look for if it doesn't stick to the metal stud.   

If you still don't catch anything, It may be time to invest in a better stud finder like the Ryobi Stud Finder. This particular unit goes the next step up by detecting the whole stud. It detects metal wood and electrical wiring. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

BadAnalysis
Getting Established

I purchased a Stanley 38mm S160 Stud Finder but it ended up more confused then I am so I bit the bullet and bore two small holes on each side and they went straight through. Image attached. Time to call a plumber?

wall.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BadAnalysis

I don't think it's time to call the plumber. However, I think it's time to consider what kind of hollow wall anchor you're going to use. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the towel rack you're about to install? Specifically, the mounting brace that came with it. This will let us know if the holes you drilled are compatible with the bracket. 

For hollow wall installations, I generally recommend using Ramset 16mm Hollow Wall Anchor - 4 Pack. If the holes are in alignment, you just need two more holes by the look of things to anchor the top part of your towel rack. If you need assistance in posting the pictures, please let me know.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the pictures of your towel rack.  

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects