Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How best to install a freestanding dishwasher in our laundry?

kelly5242
Finding My Feet

How best to install a freestanding dishwasher in our laundry?

We have just moved into a new rental without a dishwasher. The laundry is right beside the kitchen and has plenty of space so we would like to buy a dishwasher to install in the laundry.

Our washing machine is currently installed beside the laundry tub and directly underneath the hot/cold water supply taps (not shown in picture). There is also a space underneath the dryer that we thought could be used for the dishwasher. This would allow more room for the dishwasher door to open forward instead of having the dishwasher right next to the laundry tub. The laundry tub has two holes able to accommodate a waste hose, but it is a considerable distance from the space beneath the dryer. There is also the matter of getting water supply to beneath the dryer.

Just wondering if this is possible, and if so, how best to achieve this?

Thanks, Kelly

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How best to install a freestanding dishwasher in our laundry?

Hello @kelly5242 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing a dishwasher in your laundry area.

I understand your desire to have the space to freely open your dishwasher. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to recommend putting it next to the washing machine. The dishwasher much like the washing machine has a water pump that pumps the wastewater out to the drain of the laundry tub. 

If the exit hose is too long the water pump will have a hard time and will perform poorly. This could mean that food particles could get left behind in the hose which will then develop smells. To avoid this, I suggest installing the dishwasher as close as possible to the exit point which is the laundry tub. A bit of an extension might still be necessary, but it won't be so long that the pump has a hard time operating.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I have just measured the space and I don't actually believe that the dishwasher door would be able to open fully if it is placed next to the laundry tub, with the washing machine positioned under the dryer. 

Is there any way to safely have the dishwasher under the dryer, even if the alternative would be preferable?

Thanks, Kelly 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kelly5242 

Looking at your photo, it seems that there is a floor waste located right under the dryer. If it is a floor waste, one possible way for you to install the dishwasher under the dryer is for a plumber to install an "S" trap with an extension pipe going into the floor waste. In this manner the exit hose will not have to be stretched too far.

In regards to the water inlet, I suggest extending the cold inlet hose so that it reaches the cold tap under the hot water cylinder. In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber so that the "S" trap outlet is installed properly.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric

Thanks again for your reply. There ended up being JUST enough space to install the dishwasher beside the laundry tub! We were able to visit our local Bunnings store and get everything we needed and it's all installed and working perfectly. 

Cheers, Kelly

Fantastic, thanks for letting us know @kelly5242.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects