Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install shelving in a tiled bathroom?

rachell505
Finding My Feet

How do I install shelving in a tiled bathroom?

I'd like to install two small floating shelves in my bathroom and the walls are completely tiled and I'm wondering if it's okay to drill through them? How do avoid cracking them and do I need to worry about anything in terms of waterproofing? Is glue a better alternative? I'd prefer them drilled into the wall because I have a cat who I'm sure will want to explore them. 

Thanks for your help! 

Rachel

20240306_132549.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I install shelving in a tiled bathroom?

Hello @rachell505 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing shelves on a tiled wall. If you already have the shelves in your possession, I suggest positioning them on your wall and marking screw holes with a pencil. Next, I recommend using a stud finder that has the capability of detecting electrical and plumbing services in your wall.

If there are services in your chosen location, I suggest moving the shelves to another spot. Once you've found a safe spot, I propose using QEP 8mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit to drill into your tile. I've used this drill bit before, and it is very dependable and capable of going through very thick tiles. Please note that it is critical that you use the cooling reservoir that comes with the set. This will keep the drill cool and prevent the tile from overheating.

To anchor the shelf to the wall, I suggest using the Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 4 Pack. On the condition that the shelves are far away from the shower spray, there should be no issue in putting these shelves in your bathroom.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @rachell505.

In addition to @EricL advice:

1. Run a strip of painters tape in the area for each shelf

2. Use a level to draw a horizontal line and mark there points for each mounting hole

3. My experience is that no conventional stud finder will be able to detect timbers, electrical wires and metals through 3 layers of material. Most struggle to be accurate through one. 

4. When drilling each hole be prepared for breakthrough of each layer, these being the tile, tile adhesive and cement or wet board sheeting. There will either be a cavity or timber after the 3rd. The idea is to not "punch through" in the case of a cavity in order to prevent hitting a service. There shouldn't be any against the sheeting. If you strike timber, you won't need a fastener, just a suitably sized wood screw.

5. Now you will be then right to tap in the fastener and attach your shelves. There will be no requirement for waterproofing unless the shelves are within the shower head. Then I would add some bathroom silicone to the open end of the fastener prior to screwing the shelves.

Regards, Nailbag

Thank you so much, the detail you've gone into is incredible and greatly appreciated! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects