Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I re-tile this laundry wall?

Kathm6
Just Starting Out

How do I re-tile this laundry wall?

20240403_194543.jpg

I have never tiled before but have grouted, so I wanted to tackle this small project of re-tiling this laundry wall with some smaller mosaic tiles that go from just below the bench height right up to the cupboards.

I plan to get an electrician and plumber to help me with capping off / possibly moving the PowerPoint and taps.

My issue is that when I removed the tiles from the side wall (side of the sink) it damaged the gyprock a fair bit - small enough I am able to repair in that location, but large enough that I don't want to tackle it on the main wall as I'm certain I'll end up with loads of holes. 

Can I add a 6mm panel of... something (plasterboard?) at the top strip between the existing tiles and the cupboards to make it level and then put the new tiles all the way down?

Or am I better off attaching a whole new substrate over all of it, and tiling onto that?

Or do I just remove the existing tiles knowing I will probably smash up the wall, and then replace the gyprock? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I re-tile this laundry wall?

Hi @Kathm6,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for the question!

There are 6mm sheet products such as James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 6mm 2.88m² Villaboard Lining that could be essentially used as a packer to bring the substrate out in line with the existing tiles in order to lay the new ones over the top. 

Ultimately, the best way to go about this would be to remove the existing tiles and plasterboard and replace with some Gyprock CSR 2400 x 1200 x 10mm 2.88sqm Aquachek™.  This will give you a clean slate to start tiling the area and ensure you get a nice flat surface, which in the long run, will look much better. Tiling is all about getting the first line perfect and working from that datum point. The easiest way to get that first line right is to have a perfectly flat surface to work with.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members for their opinion - @Jewelleryrescue @Nailbag 

Cheers,

Jacob

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Re: How do I re-tile this laundry wall?

Hi @Kathm6 I'm with @JacobZ I would remove the existing tiles and panelling and start fresh with new Villaboard. This will give both your sparky and plumber to relocate both GPO's and taps to a more suitable location being lower to the bench and off to one side out of the way. Ideally if there is space, below bench height.

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects