Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove this shower drain?

patty123456
Finding My Feet

How do I remove this shower drain?

B72C2103-E179-489C-8A98-4653F89CCF48.jpeg

it’s flush with the shower floor. How can I open it so that I can clean the scum inside.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I remove this shower drain?

Hi @patty123456,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have joined and asked about removing your shower drain cover. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist but I suggest taking a look at this great how-to article How to unclog a blocked shower drain. In it, @MitchellMc demonstrates in step one how to remove the cover by turning it anti-clockwise and shows how to use a screwdriver if needed. Let me also tag a couple of our knowledgeable members @MikeTNZ and @CSParnell to check if they have any further suggestions. 

Another great read is this Best Advice article What is the best way to clean a shower you can check out in the meantime. If you any more questions please do not hesitate to ask, we are always here to help.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @patty123456 

Thanks for sharing your question about your shower waste. From memory this type of shower waste is a single assembly with the locking screw fixed in place at the bottom of the shower tray. I don't recommend removing the cover as this might loosen the entire assembly causing your shower tray to leak.

However, in order to clean the scum off the inside of the drain I recommend using Selleys 750ml Rapid Mould Killer Remover. Spray it directly into the scum and allow it to settle for about 15 minutes. The scum should be gone in that amount of time, I suggest rinsing the area with hot water to wash away any remaining scum.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using this cleaner. Please follow all the recommended safety procedures printed at the back of the bottle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks for your reply @EricL Eric. Appreciate it. 
I read Mitchell’s article that @KatieC  mentioned and tried removing it with the pliers but it didn’t move. Now I know why. 
I will try the mould killer remover and report back. 
Is there anything that I can place on top, which will stop the hair from going in. I have 3 bathrooms that have this shower drain. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @patty123456 

In order to stop hair from flowing into your shower drain. I suggest having a look at the Handi Home Disposable Shower Hair Strainer - 10 Pack. It stops hair blockages from happening and is reusable.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects