Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I revamp this vanity?

HJS
Finding My Feet

How do I revamp this vanity?

We were thinking of replacing this vanity but have put that on hold as it's attached to the bath, which makes it costly. Am hoping I can revamp it in the meantime. There is some minor damage. What products do I need to refinish it? Laminate paint? How to go about it? (DIY novice). TIAbathroom1.jpgbathroom2.jpgbathroom3.jpg20240424_141615 (1).jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I revamp this vanity?

Hello @HJS 

Thanks for sharing your question about revamping your vanity. I propose using Dulux Renovation Range when painting over a laminate surface. This paint system does double duty as it has paint for benchtops as well. Which is technically your vanity top.

I suggest having a quick look at these guides - How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets along with How to paint a kitchen benchtop. These guides will give you a good perspective of the steps you need to take to paint your vanity doors and vanity top. 

In regards to the damage at the bottom of the door, I suggest sanding the area lightly to reduce the swelling and applying Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler. Your goal is to fill in the damage and recreate the sharp edge of the cabinet. Sand off the excess filler and then clean it off with a clean rag before you start painting.

To fix the broken melamine edge, I recommend using Moroday 5m White Iron-on Melamine Edge.  Remove the old edging and apply a new strip over the edge of the door.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HJS
Finding My Feet

Thank you Eric,

I'm glad to hear I can revamp. Getting my shopping list together. Can I be cheeky and ask an additional question that goes to the bathroom freshen up that includes the vanity. There is a 1.5 cm gap between the end of the tiles and the baseboard on the wall in front of the shower. Seems the original builders didn't tile first and then add the baseboard. What can I use to fill the gap? And remove the paint on the tile from a sloppy pain job from a previous owner? I'm getting a carpenter in to change to a wider baseboard but that won't be for 4-6 months and would like it to look nicer in the meantime. I don't have spare tiles. Kind regards, HJS

20240425_101733.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @HJS,

For the interim, it might be best to either paint the area white to neaten it up or add a little Scotia moulding to it. Once the thicker baseboard is installed, silicone can cover the gap. 

To remove the paint from the tiles, I'd recommend trying a paint scraper; if that fails, you might need to use a small amount of paint stripper. Remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety goggles, acid-resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks MItchell,

I'd wondered about scotia - it sounds the way to go to me. Do you run any workshops for learning how to use tools before you buy them? Was thinking of a small power saw so I can do small jobs like this but feel I need some safety and general use guidance first.

Kind regards,

Heather

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @HJS,

Our stores do run workshops, so it would be worth speaking with the team next time you're in a store to see if one could be organised. Often, you'll find our D.I.Y. presenters presenting projects on the weekends. If those involve using a saw, they'll be happy to run you through safe operation and general use of it. You should find this article useful: The D.I.Y. guide to the circular saw

If a circular saw is a bit intimidating to start off with, consider a jigsaw. They are effective cutters, far less overwhelming and easy to use. They are not as powerful as a circular saw, but they get the job done.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects