Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I trench for bathroom plumbing?

Stickydates
Just Starting Out

How do I trench for bathroom plumbing?

Hi everyone, 

We have broken up the old slab at our house and started trenching for plumbing to planned shower, toilet and vanity. We haven't yet engaged a plumber at this stage and are only preparing the ground work to save some costs. 

Question we have is how deep should we be digging and would it be possible for the new sewer pipes to connect into the existing that is just on the other side of the wall (pictured)? As we've uncovered some rock, we want to plan the pipework path to cut as little rock as possible. 

We plan to engage a plumber soon but any advice before that would be appreciated :smile: 

ThanksScreenshot 2023-07-23 163530.jpgIMG_4310.jpgIMG_4311.jpgIMG_4312.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I trench for bathroom plumbing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Stickydates. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about trenching for a bathroom.

Now would be the perfect time to engage a plumber and request some quotes. They'll be the ones that tell you exactly how deep and where you'll need to trench out the soil in order for them to do their work. Not all plumbers work the same way, so there's no point in us directing you to do one thing if that's not how the plumber will be doing the job.

If that's a sewer pipe, I would presume it's possible to connect your new toilet to it. Best to check in with the plumber now to avoid any unnecessary work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects