Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you know whether tiles are ceramic or porcelain?

raymondo
Building a Reputation

How do you know whether tiles are ceramic or porcelain?

Help needed with identification.

hnd rail.jpg

I'm installing a safety hand rail in a shower.  It's an older home and I'm cautious about drilling into the tiles as they may not be replaceable. A quick look at  a tutorial on line, suggested I would need a different drill type if drilling into porcelain tiles as against ceramic, suggesting a diamond-tipped bit.   (is this true?)

I perused the shelves at the green shed and found a suitable diamond tipped bit, I thought, but it stated on the label, "Ceramic". 

How do I tell if my tiles are Porcelain or Ceramic?

And if they really are porcelain, what kind of bit will do the job?

I don't get a second chance at this..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you know whether tiles are ceramic or porcelain?

Hello @raymondo 

The difference a porcelain and ceramic tile is that it has the same colour throughout the material. A chipped piece of unglazed porcelain will have a uniform colour throughout its thickness. Ceramic tile often has a glazed surface colouring, when accidentally chipped it will reveal a different colour underneath. Plus, the finish of a porcelain tile is smoother than that of ceramic tile.

One other major difference between porcelain and ceramic tiles is that porcelain tiles can be used for both inside and outside use, whereas ceramic tiles can only be used for inside.

I suggest using a QEP 8mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit instead of a sharp tip-based tile drill bit. The diamond drill bit is rated for use on glass, ceramic, porcelain, marble and granite surfaces. I've seen these drill bits go through ceramic toilet cisterns and flowerpots.

My number one tip is to make sure that there is enough water in the drill reservoir to prevent the the drill bit and tile from overheating.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymondo
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric..

The  inside view is not viable without breaking one and I have no spare. But I think I can assume they are Porcelain inasmuch that they are very smooth and shiny.

Thanks

Ray

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @raymondo 

I still recommend using the QEP 8mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit as it is compatible with both ceramic and porcelain tiles. This is the safer tile drill bit to use as it grinds away the surface of the tile and does not pierce it. This spreads the pressure applied to the tile instead of being concentrated into a single point.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects