Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How far to extend the tiles in a bathtub and shower recess?

BecB
Finding My Feet

How far to extend the tiles in a bathtub and shower recess?

Hi there, 

We are tiling only our shower recess (the remaining walls will be Aquacheck). We have a tub/shower combo. The depth of the tub is 780mm. How far along the wall should I ask the tiler to take the tiles? 780mm? Or should I add an additional amount, say 20mm, to accommodate any hinges from the shower screen? I've attached a very terrible drawing which I hope helps explain what I mean.

Thank you in advance!

Bec

Tile - tub shower.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How far to extend the tiles in a bathtub and shower recess?

Hello @BecB 

That drawing is perfectly fine and explains very well what you are asking. The typical width of a bath starts at around 710mm going up to 745mm unless of course you purchased a two-person bath that goes even bigger. If you have a 300mm x 300mm tile joined together in a row to cover the width of the bath you would have 900mm across. This means that you would have an excess of 155mm.

The same rule applies for bigger tiles such as 400mm x 400mm, that would give you an excess of 55mm. It only becomes critical if you are using smaller tiles in a non-standard pattern. I propose providing an overlapping distance of at least 100mm from the edge of the bath. I believe it's better to have more rather than cutting the tile to a pre-set distance.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BecB
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric, 

I realised I never replied to your post. Just wanted to say thank you for the very helpful advice! I really appreciate it!

Bec

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BecB 

I'm glad it all worked out and you've tiled up your bath. Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the finished project? I'm sure our members would be keen to see how it turned out. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects