Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Hey guys, 

might be a stupid question but I have an issue with laundry taps. Plumber came and changed washers etc I keep taps on at the wall at all times but I’ve noticed that I’m getting air pockets and banging on other taps because of the washing machine taps. Not sure if this is pressure related. 

so the question is, how far should the taps be turned on? I assume the plumber changed this and could be the cause? I currently have them turned 4 times each. 

thank you.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: laundry taps

Hi how long has it been since the plumber was there? Its not unusual to get some air pockets immediately after a plumbing job. Running a couple of taps should have flushed them out and each tap should only have this problem the first-time it is used after the visit. Sometimes hammering can be because of the pipes in the wall not being held tight or tight corners there is little you can do about that directly. I noticed that you have had hammering problems before. Have you considered fitting a hammer arrestor not guaranteed to solve problem. Personally I have had some success using these. It stopped the problem with my dishwasher. You can get them at Bunnings they come in different sizes. From memory they are a special order and there is one that screws in between the tap and inlet hose so you wouldn't need the plumber back. Or you could fit a bigger central one - probably a plumber job. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newgreenthumb,

It's great to see that @JDE has already provided some helpful assistance.

I presume your other water hammer issues were resolved before this new occurrence? If they were, I'd give the plumber a quick call and let them know you are experiencing this issue after they attended the property and ask them for advice. 

If these issues are a continuation of the original problem, I'd recommend you follow the advice provided in your previous discussion and have a plumber assess the issue. Either way, it would be best to give the plumber a call, as they would be familiar with the property and any adjustments they might have made.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @JDE 

thanks for the replies.

unfortunately the plumber hasn’t been overly helpful and I’m disappointed with each visit a call out fee is charged without much success. 
I dint have water hammer, it’s air pockets which is what I was told as my issue only when happens when water is turned on, not off. 
turning the taps off at the wall for washing machine seems to be help but when turned back on the air pockets start again. Only when turning on. 

@Newgreenthumb,

Trapped air in your pipes manifests typically as sputtering out of taps, inconsistent water flow and vibration through the pipes. You need to try and push the air out by turning every tap on simultaneously, including the shower/bath/toilets and putting your washing machine on a rinse cycle. Please start with the closest tap/appliance to the mains valve and work away from it. Let this water flow until there is no more sputtering at the taps and normal flow is restored. To turn the water back off, start at the furthest tap/appliance away from the mains valve and turn everything off again.

If this fails, you might have water-hammer issues, as indicated by the banging noise you're hearing. In that case, you'll need to have a plumber assess the situation and install water-hammer arrestors. This could be a case of both water hammer and air pockets.

You might like to employ the services of a plumber that is willing to fix the issue and not just come out for a call-out. There will likely be a significant cost associated with this, and you should request a quote in writing on the fee to resolve all the issues.

Mitchell

I had trouble with 'hammering' on a bath hot water tap.

Tried all those anti-hammer washers - no help at all.

I finally had success with this style. Dunno why - must be related somehow to hydrodynamics, how the water passes past the washer - turbulence, bruit?

20220509_104022.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How much should washing machine taps be turned on?

Hello @Newgreenthumb 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade@MitchellMc and @JDE. Just to add to the suggestions made, I believe the cause of your hammering issue is the solenoid from the washing machine. The solenoid is an electronically controlled shut off valve that operates with lightning precision. That sudden stop of water creates a pressure wave inside your plumbing causing a loud knocking or hammering sound. 

In order to counteract that pressure wave, there must be a chamber where the pressure can be absorbed. I suggest installing a Sioux Chief Water Hammer Arrestor. This device is specifically created to absorb and dissipate the pressure wave inside your plumbing, thereby preventing leaks and costly repairs to your plumbing.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@JDE

thank you. He was here around one month ago. The issue now happens with my kitchen sink tap which didn’t happen before from memory. I now feel like pressure has been changed, so when tuning the rap on it is slow to release the water and then too much comes out. I’ll have a look at the suggestions thank you 

@MitchellMc  thank you. 

im happy to call another plumber, the one I used charges a call out fee and says what he did. Last time is was fine so I’m kind of stuck. Something has definitely changed as my kitchen sink tap pressure is just off.

I did try as you suggested but unfortunately I cou don’t turn the washing machine Taos off as the rinse goes for 30min, but spin is one minute so I’ll try that, it’s very frustrating issue.

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@Noyade @Thank you. 

yes I’ve noticed now the pressure on some Taos are different since the plumber was here. It’s a slower pressure then high. Thanks for showing me the photo. I’ll definitely look into it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects