Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a laundry bench?

ajhic2
Just Starting Out

How to add a laundry bench?

Hi,

I'm looking to add a bench to my laundry over the top of my washing machine. The photo shows the span between the sink and wall (where the vacuum is hanging). My thought was to install a 600mm wide specrite panel. I'll cut it to size (around 1400mm long) I'm intending to install some timber battens/cleats along the two wall and connected to the sink to support the bench.

A few questions that I was hoping to get help with: 

• Would the 3 timber cleats be suitable to support the bench? What size timber should I use?
  • Is the idea to connect a cleat to the sheet metal ok? What fasteners would I use for this? I can connect into the sheet metal and there's around 10mm in between the sheet metal and the sink, so a countersunk screw  of some sort won't impact the integrity of the sink.
  • I'll drill though the back of the bench in a couple of spots for the hose/drain pipe/power point. It's not ideal, but ok for this quick fix.
  • Are the specrite panels able to be stained?

I've included some pictures below that might help clear up any poorly described info above. Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Andrew

Bench spanning from sink, across washing machine and voidBench spanning from sink, across washing machine and void

Mark up showing cleats in case that wasn't clear: 

Bench cleat mark up.jpg

Detail of the sink connection. I'm thinking to drill in to the white sheet metal. The rink has a slight lip

PXL_20240121_041403877.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a laundry bench?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ajhic2. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a bench.

I've done exactly what you've described in my laundry, and what you've proposed will work. You can certainly attach cleats to the walls and sink. For the sink, I just used three small angle brackets and metal self-drilling screws. For your cleats, I'd recommend 42 x 19mm Pine. For screws, I'd use Zenith 8G x 30mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Metal Screws. Those are right on the cusp of your 19mm + 10mm limit, so don't overdrive them, or they'll dent the metal bowl.

For the plaster walls, I'd use hollow wall anchors to attach the cleats.

Specrite panels can be stained, but they often come with a hardwax oil on them. It would be best to give them a light sand to open up the timber to accept the stain.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the advice and links - that's great! I'll grab the equipment and have a go later in the week. I was really unsure about the screws on the sink - there were metal and sheet metal options - I appreciate your advice!

For the connections along the plaster, do you recommend using the angle brackets on the thin cleats as you've decribed for the sink, or getting a thinker timber (something like this) and screw through this and into the panel directly? Thanks again!

Cheers,

Andrew

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could use a thicker timber @ajhic2, but 42 x 19mm is sufficient. Using 42 x 42mm might be better as it will allow you to screw through it into the wall and also up from the bottom into the underside of the bench. Just make sure the screws you select are not so long that they penetrate the benchtop's surface. I think bracket or cleats would suffice, no need to use both.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects