Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to adjust HWS overflow pipe?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

How to adjust HWS overflow pipe?

Hi DIY-ers

The overflow pipe from the gas hot water tank drips onto the edge of the laundry tub.  I rigged up this very attractive shelving unit to redirect the water, but the colours clash with the bathroom settings so it's got to go 😱😂😂

I'd like some advice on whether it's safe for me to angle the pipe a bit more so the water drips into the tub?  I'm guessing the pipe is copper, so fairly maleable? Would a screwdriver be enough to do the job?

Thanks

Tyro 🤗

20231201_073336.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water overflow pipe

Interesting setup @Tyro. I'm not sure why they finished the pipe midair there and have it drip down into the tub or onto the edge, as is the case here. 

If it's only a small amount, I imagine you could bend the pipe slightly using a screwdriver. Just make sure not to crimp the pipe as that could cause a blockage and damage to your heater. Would sliding a short length of clear vinyl tubing over the end extend it enough to drip into the tub? 

Alternatively, the copper pipe could be cut just before the bend, and the vinyl tube could be used to direct water straight down and into the same waste on the left of the image that the washing machine goes into. The copper tube and vinyl hose could be covered with white cable trunking adhered to the wall with double-sided tape. That should neaten up the appearance of the overflow and do away with this dripping issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ah thank you @MitchellMc !  I had been combing websites  looking for plastic tubes!  But you have identified exactly what I was searching for! Vinyl! 😁🙏🏻

How terrible to think I'll be forced to go to Bunnings again tomorrow ... about lunchtime too  🌭🤩

Yes the set-up is a fine example of the idiosyncracies of the prior renovation style ... I haven't quite managed to identify exactly which architectural style they drew upon to achieve their results!   Such 'fine' examples abound  throughout the existing 100 year old structure, as well as the even more 'inventive' displays throughout the extension! 🙄  I'm currently banging my head against the wall over what was done to  the shower!  It's a  nightmare!  No doubt I shall be calling upon the BWC for more help!

Thanks again for your help and suggestions! 👋

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro 

When you are ready to explore ideas, please make sure to post a few photos of the bathroom and its measurements. I'm sure our members will be more than happy to share ideas.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I can vouch for the durability of vinyl hosing and hot water, we opted for a section of garden hose to plumb our HWS outlet/overflow pipe into a nearby drain grate to keep our "Cat Palace" dry, there is a little competition in Winter for the "perch" on the top of the HWS 👍

Alternatively, you could obtain a similar diameter piece of copper pipe and use a drill/driver swage adapter to flare it sufficiently to fit over your existing pipe (route as required).

Untitled.jpg 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @EricL 

I'm doing it in bits.  When finished I will put them online.  But they were  mere cosmetic tweaks ... until the shower!

Stay tuned! 😱🙄

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @DIYGnome 

Thanks for the drilling suggestion 😁  Though the effort ... weeelll! Maybe not!

After the Barbie sausage at The Store today, I picked up some of the tube @MitchellMc  suggested.  Tomorrow is the plan ... 

I have no doubt whatsoever that your pusscats have a battle for that throne!  Purrrfek!  And do you have photos of the winners?!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects