Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change Zucchetti tap cartridge?

Kalle
Finding My Feet

How to change Zucchetti tap cartridge?

Hi, CA2F826E-822F-4624-A5B5-47462E67FDA5.jpegI have a leaking water tap and I am trying to remove the dome cover to replace the mixer catridge. I can easily turn the cover but I cannot get it off. I contacted the Zucchetti importer and they made all sorts of suggestions but nothing worked. There is no notch which I can use to pop off the dome cover. Has anybody had any experience with this type of Zucchetti water tap? Many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water tap dome cover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kalle. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about dissembling a water mixer.

As mentioned, many of the Zucchetti instructions reference a notch and the locking nut cover being levered off via it. Since this is not a Bunnings product, I am unfamiliar with the dissembling process, which can be unique to each brand.

I trust you've turned the cover anti-clockwise to check whether it unscrews off via a threaded connection and also pulled it directly out to ensure it's not just a press fit? 

I note there is a giant circlip inside the domed area, which would be removed with circlip pliers. However, I suspect this is retaining the cartridge and not fixing the dome cover.

Let me mention a few of our members, @Dave-1, @TedBear, @Noyade and @Nailbag, to see if they have any thoughts. Whilst we wait for their opinion, would you mind taking a picture looking directly at the front of the mixer and of the handle, as that might provide further insight? Also, if you happen to know the model number, that might assist us in tracking down installation instructions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your long reply. Unfortunately, I don't know the model number and all the instructions that I found on the internet and were als sent to me by the Zucchetti importer do not fit my water tap. It is a bit of a mystery. Yes, I also suspect that the circlip holds the cartridge in place. I can turn the dome in both directions and nothing happens. This would indicated that there is no threaded connection. I was debating whether I should just try to pull it out. It could be just a pressfit, possibly with an o-ring, but I would not even know how to pull it off. There is nothing to hold on to. I tried to put a blunt knife between the dome cover and the part on which it sits. It just does not budge. I hesitate to use too much force, just in case there is some other mechanism (possibly inside) which holds it in place. I have attached another picture. As you can see, there is another yellow, semi-transparent piece which seems to hold the cartridge in place. Maybe, one is meant to remove the circlip, but none of the instructions mentions this in connection with removing the dome cover.

WolfgangA1CF142D-009E-492B-AFF7-7DAAFA27EB6B.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a tricky one @Kalle. Hopefully the members I've tagged will be able to offer some insight.

Perhaps you might like to try the circlip, as it looks like you would need the pliers to remove it once you have the cover off. I'd imagine it will be too large to pull out from within the cover.

The only other thing you could do would be to go back to the company and let them know there is no notch.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Indeed. I do hope that those members have some insights. I have a plumber acquaintance in the UK, but he is also puzzled. My problem has gone global ...

Regarding the circlip, you can see that its outer edge is slightly covered by something inside, but this part does not move when I turn the dome cover. So, my guess is that the dome cover itself sits on something and the circlip is squeezed between that something and the cartridge. 

I have have exchanged several emails with the company and, in particular, I have pointed out that there is no notch. In the end, they stopped replying, presumably because they had nothing else to offer.

In any case, I am very grateful to you for keeping the discussion alive.

Wolfgang 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I'm with both of you in regards to removing the circlip.

We cannot let a tap beat us!

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Kalle The notch the manufacturer is referring to is in the attached photo. But this may only give them an indication of the model of mixer as it has no baring on how the dome is removed.

The fact it can free-spin indicates it's not threaded on. So it's either held in position with that cir-clip which may also retain the cartridge or it simply pulls off. I would try the cir-clip first as that has to come out anyway. Then I would use multiple-grips or similar and cloth tape the jaws. The pinch the inner lip of the dome and try and wiggle it out.

If both methods fail, then definitely call your plumber.

regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 5.15.24 PM.png

Thank you. In fact, my plumber acquaintance in the UK just rang me and also suggested trying to remove the circlip.

The company was referring to a notch where the dome cover and the other part meet. The idea was to use a screwdriver to lever it out. Unfortunately, there is no such notch.

Yes, I was debating whether I should "pinch the inner lip of the dome and try and wiggle it out". If I only knew that I am supposed to do this. I just don't want to damage anything. I can only switch the water off at the mains and if I break something then I am done for.

Wolfgang

If the dome cover is meant to pull out then it should be relatively easy without too much effort. If it doesn’t after removing the cir-clip then personally I would be calling a plumber. Wolfgang. 

Regards Nailbag

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Kalle ,

I haven't had to replace one of those, but here are some instructions I found on line.

They sound like they apply to your model.

"Remove the circlip with proper circlip pliers. With the small flat blade screwdriver ease the nylon washer out. Take note of the side facing out as both sides are not the same.Unscrew the piece holding the cartridge in with a correctly fitting spanner so as not to damage the outside thread. Push out the cartridge. When inserting the new one make sure the locating lugs are correctly positioned. Replace the holding piece only tightening to the stopping point. Be careful not to overtighten but make sure it is fully screwed up. Replace nylon washer,circlip, "   [etc]

[Source: https://howtomendit.com/answers?id=105046 ]

(I saw another model that has a small metal pin inside the dome that you pull out to release it, but that one doesn't have a cir-clip as yours does.)

You may need a special tube spanner to remove the cartridge - or at least it would make it easier if you had it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects