Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean this rusty pipe under my sink?

eagboola
Getting Established

How to clean this rusty pipe under my sink?

Hi I am a bit of a novice with things. I am moving into a new apartment and the underneath of the sink is a bit old and has all this rust. Photo above. Would CLR be best to clean this or what would be the best option?

thank you!

5A7C3D81-8A36-4171-968E-B5D069C30EFD.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean this rusty pipe under my sink?

Hello @eagboola

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to clean a rusty pipe under your sink.

It looks like a support bracket for the porcelain sink. The good news is that it appears to be surface rust only, I suggest sanding down all the rusty areas that you can see and using White Knight 300g White Rust Guard All Purpose Primer. Although the primer is white, I still recommend using White Knight Rust Guard 310g Flat White Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint as a top coat to properly seal the steel bracket.

Please note that the bracket must be free of dust and debris before you begin your spray painting. It's highly recommended that the area around your sink be sealed off and masked with drop sheets and masking tape so that only the bracket will be painted and the rest of the area will not be damaged by overspray.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint window frames ( the techniques used are applicable to your project )

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects