Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect washing machine drain pipe?

RajuTaddi
Finding My Feet

How to connect washing machine drain pipe?

Hi Everyone,

We just moved into a new property, and trying to connect our washing machine to the drain connection under the laundry sink. The mount connections (two) as shown in the photo are closed. How to open them, they look solid, is that the way the connection is? 

20230916_152729.jpg

20230916_151724.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to connect washing machine drain pipe

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RajuTaddi. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a dishwasher to a drain pipe.

You'll need to drill the higher spigot out. Take a measurement of the inside of the spigot mouth and pick up a drill bit similar in size that fits inside it. Drill out the thin plastic wall that you can see inside at the bottom of the spigot. Be careful only to drill it out and not damage the rest of the pipe.

Once you've opened the spigot, you can attach the drain hose from your washing machine with a hose clamp.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for the response.

Just one more question to understand. Is the spigot always comes like that? And we need to drill a hole to connect any drain pipe?

As it is new construction home, just confused whether I should do myself or hire someone, or speak with builder.

That's how drains pipes come, @RajuTaddi. You only drill the spigot out when connecting something to it. Otherwise, you'd have an open hole in the drain pipe for no reason.

There's no reason to speak with the builder, but you could hire someone to do the job if you are not confident.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc !! Really appreciated for the quick response.

Can you connect a 22mm washing machine drain hose to those dishwasher sproggets they look a lot smaller. Might effect outflow of water from machine? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ChrisBerlin. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a dishwasher waste hose.

Connecting a 22mm dishwasher and washing machine drain hose to these spigots is commonplace. However, as best practice and if you're concerned, consult your user manual to determine the correct connection method for your machine. There should be diagrams and instructions for you to follow. If there are warnings that pertain to not restricting the 22mm hose at all, then I'd encourage you to reach out to the manufacturer directly for confirmation on whether connecting to these waste spigots is acceptable. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects