Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking tap with ceramic disc?

iloveyou
Getting Established

How to fix a leaking tap with ceramic disc?

Hi guys,

I bought this Mondella vanity tap 4 years ago. It has got the Ceramic disc (no washer) and 10 years warranty. But today water is dripping from the tap constantly and it is hot water.  Usually the issue should be able to be fixed if it is a tap with a washer but nore sure about this one. Since this product has got 10 years warranty, no sure if I should bring the whole product to Bunning to change a new one or can I fix this issue if I change any part of the tap?

Appreciate if anyone can help! Thank you!

unnamed.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Anyone knows how to fix a leaking tap with Ceramic disc

Hello @iloveyou

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to fix a leaking tap with a ceramic disk.

Before you take the tap apart, I recommend calling Mondella and making an inquiry about your warranty. If you still have your docket or proof of purchase you can tell them what happened and they will proceed from there.  

The steps to replacing the ceramic disc inside are exactly the same as when you are replacing a jumper valve inside a traditional tap. The handle has to be removed, then the spindle assembly is removed. In this case, the spindle assembly in a ceramic setup is the spindle. The spare part is an all-in-one assembly, there are no replaceable parts in it. I've placed an image below as to what it might look like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
iloveyou
Getting Established

Thank you so much EricL!

Does anyone know how and what tools need to be used to take off the tap to change the spindle? The Mondella basin tap I am using is Resonance 1/4 turn Pin Lever Basin Set. 

Appreciate if anyone can help!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @iloveyou,

Those pin-lever handles typically have a hidden grub screw which, when unscrewed, allows you to take the handle off. If you can't see any obvious little cap to take off the handle's body, then the grub screw is likely hidden in the hole the pin handle is screwed into. Unscrew the pin-lever from the tap handle body anti-clockwise. Have a look inside the hole it was unscrewed from as chances are the grub screw is in there. The grub screw is usually 2.0 - 2.5mm, and you'll need an allen key set to remove it. Once it's removed, pull the handle assembly straight off. Next, the spindle will need to be removed and replaced. A tap spanner is required to remove the spindle. The spindle can then be taken to your closest store and matched up with a replacement by our team.

Remember to turn off your mains water or isolate the taps before removing the spindle.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Mitchell! It is such a quick response!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects