Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaking washing machine hose?

dave011976
Just Starting Out

How to fix a leaking washing machine hose?

IMG_1384.jpeg

 i have a leak coming from my washing machine hose. I have taken the clamps off & re tightened them but not sure what else to do 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: washing machine hose/connector leak

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dave011976. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a washing machine hose.

Your best bet is to try and do away with this connection altogether. There are two potential leak points here, and it would be far better to run one longer hose directly from the back of the washer if possible. Is that expanding hose long enough to do the job by itself? At the back of the machine, the hose on it should just be connected with a similar clamp.

Alternatively you'll need to work out why this joint is leaking, and I suspect it's due to the connecting piece you are using. What's between the two pipes that you are clamping down on? On the expanding hose side of the connection, it appears that the clamp has cut through the rubber collar, and you might have crushed whatever you are using to join the pipes. I've found these Toro 25mm Barbed Joiners to be one of the better options for joining washing machine hoses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the quick response Mitchell, I have attached a pic of the back of the washing machine, I  don't  think I can replace that cord with the extension one . The piece connecting the two hoses is just a double plastic connection, I did check that for holes but couldn't find any. 

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

That's annoying @dave011976. I'd say the rear panel needs to be removed to access the fitting for the hose. Please don't do so unless you are familiar with electrical devices.

So, back to the joiner you've used. I think it's either crushed or the rubber connector on the hose has been severed, allowing water to bypass the clamps. The tighter you do the clamps up, the worse it will likely get. I recommend taking the expanding hose in with you to a store and checking to see if the barbed fitting I linked to above fits in the rubber connector. You'll need to fully push the barbed ends into both hoses and place your clamps over the rubber connector after the barbed portion. When the pressure builds up, the barb ensures the connection can't blow apart.

Mitchell

hi Mitch I've just tried to install the new one & the cords won't go in the connector 

, do I need a smaller one 

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1490.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dave011976 

I'm afraid the Toro 25mm Barbed Joiner - Single is too big, I suggest going one size down and using the Toro 19mm Barbed Joiner - Single. You can reuse the clamps that you originally have. Once you've put in the joiner, I suggest doing a quick test and seeing if adding the joiner fixed the leak. 

However, if the hose continues to leak, I propose trying to track down if it is coming from the machine side or extension side. If it is coming from the machine side, I suggest engaging the services of a professional handy man to replace your washing machine hose outlet. But if it is the extension hose then all you need to do is replace it with a new one.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your hose leak fixed.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects