Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a leaky laundry tap?

ronaldcdutt
Finding My Feet

How to fix a leaky laundry tap?

IMG_5766.jpeg

Hi guys, would love some advice here. This is my laundry room tap ..the tap is leaking at the top .. what should I do ? Replace the tap? .. I was not able to unscrew it (I don’t if it is unscrewable) . Any solutions? Or should I call a plumber?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: leaky laundry tap

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ronaldcdutt. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a leaking tap.

If water is coming out of the spout after the tap has been turned off, then it's likely that the mixer cartridge needs to be replaced. Under the handle section, there should be a little cap or hole which has an allen key screw inside it. Once you have undone this screw, the handle will come off, which will give you access to the mixer cartridge. Take the cartridge to your local store, and a team member should be able to match it up for you. Given the price of the mixer cartridge, it might be worth considering replacing the whole tap assembly

You have an additional fitting screwed onto your tap spout, and perhaps your question relates to that leaking rather than the tap dripping due to the mixer cartridge. Are you using that fitting to connect a hose to your tap spout?  If you are and there is a leak that is coming from where you've indicated, there's a small flat washer inside that's likely perished. The fitting screwed onto your tap spout could be a reverse thread, so try undoing it in the other direction to what you have been. Once you have that washer out, a helpful team member at your local Bunnings store will be able to match it up for you.

If you are not confident in removing and replacing the mixer cartridge, it might be an idea to enlist the services of a professional to do so.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: leaky laundry tap

Thank you for reply . Appreciate it a lot

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects