Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a stuck mixer tap handle?

apple16
Getting Established

How to fix a stuck mixer tap handle?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello, I need to remove this bathroom mixer tap to replace the cartridge (or the while tap if it’s beyond help, yet to be determined) as it leaks. I removed the grub screw but the top will not budge. Any ideas? Tap brand in Unique. Google doesn’t offer any help. I’m pretty sure the tap is as old as the house, 18 years give or take.   
Please ignore the painters tape. It’s to stop my children using the tap while I figure this out. Thank you. 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: mixer tap handle stuck

Are you trying to remove just the handle or the whole thing? If the whole tap there will be a couple of threads through a plate under the sink ussually with a nut. You undo these and the tap will lift out. JDE

apple16
Getting Established

Hello, thank you for the info. At the moment just the handle. Any idea how it get it off? 

apple16
Getting Established

I ended up using a small flat head screwdriver to pop the handle off. So gross inside. 

image.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @apple16. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap handle.

So sorry for the delay in my reply. It's sensational to see that you managed to remove the handle. How are you going removing the cartridge? Did the chrome dome cover unscrew easily for you?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. 

The chrome dome was finger tight so easily came off. I damaged the cartridge when removing the handle.  

In the end the old tap was so nasty and gross, a new tap was needed. I removed the old tap and installed a brand new one. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, @apple16! Given the price of the new cartridge for an aged and worn tap, sometimes it's just not worth the effort. I think you made a smart decision, and the new tap looks wonderful.

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects