Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap between trim and lino?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to fix gap between trim and lino?

So I'm going to repaint my baseboard to fix a rookie error when painting it the first time. :smile: Since I'm doing that I want to fix another finishing issue. When my lino was replaced they didn't remove the baseboard trim...just took it up to the edge of the trim. On really close inspection (which I've been doing a lot) there is a gap of about 1mm (yes it's tiny) on some sections between the timber trim and the lino. It doesn't sound like much but when you're painting the trim a light colour I notice it. Is there something I can do about this to make it look more nicely finished? Whatever solution I'd apply to all the baseboards for consistency. Keep in mind I'm re-applying the paint job so ruining the current paint job isn't a concern.

I have a similar issue around the window frame trim and the wall (wall yet to be painted). Some evidence of tiny gaps between the frame and wall that aren't filled with paint when trim is painted. Again, possibly an application of a paintable gap filler required?

Thanks for all the advice. Incredibly useful in fixing my rookie mistakes and fixing the little messes I've started to notice!

Regards

DIYHaveACrack

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix gap between trim and lino?

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @EricL to see if he can assist you when he gets back on the site later today.

In the meantime, some photos might assist members to visualise your issue and provide more helpful advice. Let me know if you need a hand uploading some images.

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Photo examples attached. Wall to window trimWall to window trimTrim to linoleum on floorTrim to linoleum on floor

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYHaveaCrack 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing the gap between your trim and lino. There are three possible options you can explore.

First is to use a gap filler on the trim and lino. Gap fillers often dry flexible so there is room for it to move. I recommend using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler. I suggest using the same product for the gaps in your window area.

Second is to install another trim on top of your existing trim such as the Porta 9 x 9mm 3.0m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Quad Select. You'll need to glue it and then nail it in place so that it won't move.

The third recommendation is to remove your existing trim and replace it with a larger one so that it goes over the new lino. 

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you fix gaps in the bathroom? (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

I also suggest having a look at this how to guide - How to apply silicone sealant by @lifestylebymari 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects