Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix messy wide grouting?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to fix messy wide grouting?

Hi everyone. Another question about how best to tidy up another dodgy brothers effort in my bathroom. Next to the bath it appears they have obviously badly positioned the tiles when grouted in and ended up with a space of around 1cm instead of a nice 3-4mm grout line. They have then just filled it with grout (and not tidily). What is the best way to tidy up this mess? I'm not able to remove tiles and re-position them. I can remove the existing grout and refill but wanted a tidier finish as it will still be a 1cm gap to fill. Is there a beading of some kind I could insert in here perhaps? Thanks again for all your help. DIY HaveACrack

20230905_104714_resized.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix messy wide grouting?

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

You could add masking tape to the tiles on either side of the grout and use sandpaper to smooth it, reducing the rough appearance. Alternatively, you could apply grout over what's there and smooth it off with your finger. That would give better results than what's there currently. Another option would be to run a thin bead of silicone over the grout and smooth that off with a finger dipped in soapy water.

You could cut the grout and start again, but that might not be entirely necessary; I'd try going over the top of it first. I am unaware of any specific beading that could be used to cover this tile grout—most tile trims are used on corners and not flat surfaces.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix messy wide grouting?

Afternoon @DIYHaveaCrack 

Ahh dodgy inc bro's have been busy at your place as well :smile:

I wonder if you kept an eye out for another piece of that curved tile trim on the right and then used it to cover that join? Not sure how you would attach it but it may cover the widness of the grout.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects