Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix shower door unable to close?

chenri
Finding My Feet

How to fix shower door unable to close?

Wondering what i should do to lift the shower door up ? Is it a alignment issue or bottom pivot not able to hold door up? We tried to lift the door up and it seems to solve the problem but we are not sure how to hold the door up permanently. Removed the caps of the pivot cannot see any screw.17154969324882028029818256188050.jpg

 Shower door unable to close, gets stuck at the bottom

17154969811578597435500076840263.jpg

 bottom pivot does not have a gap

17154970467969125353804509621240.jpg top pivot has a gap

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix shower door unable to close?

Hi @chenri,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I'll start by saying that when working around glass, you should always be cautious and wear the relevant personal protective equipment including eye protection, gloves, long sleeve shirt, long pants and enclosed footwear. Glass can and does shatter and I'd hate for someone to get injured unnecessarily.

With this being said, is it possible to get some photos of the bottom of the pivot from the inside? I suspect that there will be some kind of adjustment screw hidden under a cap somewhere. The logical place in my mind is on the bottom of the door.

Once you've taken this photo, I can help troubleshoot further.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob :smile:

Here are the photos. I have removed a cover on the front too.

20240518_130856.jpg

20240518_130957.jpg

20240518_131002.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chenri,

There looks to be a join where I have circled below. If this is a cap, it's likely possible to pop this off using a flathead screwdriver.

Glass Hinge Snip.PNG

I suspect there may be some kind of hardware concealed by this cap that may assist.

Let me know how you go. I'm eager to work this one out with you.

Jacob

Wow you're very observant ! Removed the cap as per your suggestion. Here are the photos after removing the cap.

20240518_141933.jpg

20240518_141925.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chenri,

It's hard to see due to the lighting but is there a screw or mechanism in the two holes I have circled below?

I suspect there may be some form of mechanical adjustment in these holes.

Let me know what you find and I'll assist further.

Jacob

The holes are hollow , tested with a straw able to go through. 

20240518_142707.jpg

20240518_143043.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chenri,

Ok, my next suspicion is that there is another removable cap where I have traced the red line in the below photo.

I suspect that the two objects I've circled in the below photo will have something to do with the adjustment.

Let me know how you go, I'm very invested in finding a solution for you.

Jacob

Can't be removed as it is wrap around to the other side.

20240519_170048.jpg

  

20240519_170139.jpg

20240519_170142.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chenri,

Ok, it doesn't look like there's anything at the bottom that will help us. I'd suggest you pop the caps back on at the bottom and we move to the top of the hinge.

Logic would say that the top of the door needs to move to the left, like in the photo I've added below. 

You should follow the same steps as before and inspect whether there are any caps that can be removed to reveal fixings that might assist us. 

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects