Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix swollen door frame next to shower area?

nikhilsaste
Finding My Feet

How to fix swollen door frame next to shower area?

Hello Everyone,

Recently we noticed WC door frame (which is just next to shower area in ensuite) is swollen at the bottom.

Apparently design wise shower area entry door is just next to WC door frame.

When we keep using shower area daily, some  of the water falls on this frame and has caused this frame to swell. 

This is the feedback we got from one of the plumbers.

We are worried that the door frame might just swell too much and we will not able to close/lock the door soon.

Can anyone suggest any leads to fix this ?

IMG_6361.jpgIMG_6362.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix swollen door frame next to shower area?

Hello @nikhilsaste 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your door frame.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid water has entered the bottom of the frame and has travelled all the way to the front of the door frame outside. The damaged timber once drenched in water can no longer be repaired.   

All the damaged timber will need to be cut off and replaced with similar timber. It will then need to be primed, painted and sealed so that it will be protected from getting wet again.

If left unrepaired the timber will start to rot and mould will begin to develop inside.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @EricL ..!!

Hi @nikhilsaste and @EricL 

May also be good to consider if the waterproofing has failed allowing water beneath the tiles to find its way to the framing structure. It is unfortunately  common to see this occur as a result of waterproofing failure in areas like this as well.

Warm regards 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks @diy_hausdesigns 

I have contacted builder for an inspection regarding water proofing issue.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects