Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water damaged wall?

tashstewy-2219
Finding My Feet

How to fix water damaged wall?

I have quite a big water damage problem. I’ve had the plumber out he’s fixed the taps and said to wait until the wall dries before we fix it, it’s been a couple of months it’s still damp. I’m not really sure where to start here. Should I have seen some improvement by now? Should I be removing the damp part of the wall or is this a job for a professional? 

IMG_8890.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: water damage

Hello @tashstewy-2219 

Thanks for sharing your question about your water damaged wall. You are correct there should have been some improvement if the leak was fixed. But it appears that the damage has gotten worse. Odds are there is a plumbing leak inside your wall. 

I don't recommend removing the damaged section at this time unless you are prepared to track down the leak and repair it. I propose engaging the services of a registered plumber as soon as possible so that when the wall is taken down any leak can be addressed straight away.

I also suggest asking the plumber if they offer a thermal imaging service for in wall detection of leaks. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects