Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix wooden benchtop with glue stain?

TJW
Just Starting Out

How to fix wooden benchtop with glue stain?

 Hi  there, 

When putting in my sink in the laundry I got a little bit of glue on my new wooden bench top. I tried rubbing it off with my finger which made it worse. Once it was dried I tried sanding it off and then recoatibg but it has come up the same. Any thoughts on how to blend this? The bench top has been stained with Cabot jarrah internal stain (one coat) and three coats of the Cabot clear coat. 

image.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Fix wooden benchtop

Hi @TJW 

Your  on the right  track.

You may need to sand it back the whole section  /  corner for best results.

at least you have more stain and top coat.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fix wooden benchtop

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TJW. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a benchtop.

@Jewelleryrescue is on the money there, and it appears that further sanding is required. The glue has likely penetrated down into the timber and is preventing the stain from adhering. 

Do you happen to know at what point of the staining/coating process the glue got on the surface? Did you install the sink first, and the glue got on the raw timber, as that's what it looks like? I can't think of any other remedy than sanding right back to the timber in the hopes that the glue has not penetrated that far.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects