Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a bathroom mirror?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to hang a bathroom mirror?

Hi Team. I have an 8kg bathroom mirror to hang and it won't be on a stud (studs are in the wrong position). So will be hanging on plasterboard. There are many helpful hints and products about hanging on plasterboard however I'm wanting some advice about the best option in my case. I want the mirror to hang flush against the wall and the hanging hole provided on the mirror (pictured) has me wondering what is best to use. The depth of the 'keyhole' space is about 8mm. I don't think its a problem finding a support for the wall that will hold the mirror - it's whats on the mirror side that is my concern. The wrong choice could see a big piece of the mirror frame just pulled out at the point of hanging. The frame of the mirror is wooden so could be drilled if necessary for extra support points. Thank you. Signed Endlessly Needing Advice :smile:

20230909_085632.jpg20230909_085644.jpg20230909_085649.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hanging a bathroom mirror

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

8kg is a fair amount of weight to hang off plasterboard. I'd recommend you take a look at the GripIt 15mm Yellow Plasterboard Fixing as it's designed to hold up to 30kg and uses a screw as the mounting point, which would be suitable for the mounting fixture on your mirror. I can only assume that the mirror maker designed the mounting point sufficiently to hold the weight.

Using this fixing method, you'll achieve a flush mount of the mirror to the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell. Further to this one I may be able to use a stud! If that is the case can you suggest the best hanging system/hook if it can go into a stud and will still sit flush against the wall. Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYHaveaCrack 

If you are lucky enough to be able to mount to the stud, I suggest using Hangman Double Headed Black Bear Claw Screws. These are rated to hold 100lb which is around 45kg conservatively. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

It's up and very stable. Life goals achieved. A 5ft woman hanging an 8kg mirror well above head height that only had a keyhole fixture and needed to sit flush against the wall. Finding studs (not the male kind), using two different types of hanging fixtures for stability (one for studs, one for plasterboard), using a spade drill bit for the first time (getting me more of those!) and climbing up and down the ladder a lot moving said 8kg mirror from ground level to top of ladder to wall fixture to get the right position. It was hard to find the hole to hang it when supporting the weight so sneaky trick was I used a piece of painters tape over the top and down the front of the frame to guide where the hole was at the back. I used the Hangman double headed screw into the stud for the main top fixture but had to clear more space behind the keyhole fixture in the frame so it would sit flush. The second fixture at the bottom (into plasterboard using Gripit) stopped any side to side swing movement. This mirror isn't moving! A learning experience and it looks SO good.20231101_103652_resized.jpg20231101_103659_resized.jpg20231101_103709_resized.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to hang a bathroom mirror?

Congratulations and well done on a terrific job @DIYHaveaCrack! The mirror looks great and it's so good to read that it is now securely attached to the wall. I can imagine it wasn't easy navigating multiple new elements and overcoming those challenges.

Thank you for updating us on this completed project and also for sharing that handy painter's tape trick - loved it. 

Are you working on any other D.I.Y. projects at the moment? We would love to assist you if needed. 

Congratulations once again.

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack 

Thank you so much for the update and congratulations on a job well done! That mirror is not going anywhere with the fixings that you've put into place. Not only did you hang a heavy mirror, but you now have the skill to locate studs and use them as an anchoring point for things that you want to hang. It is a very handy skill to have as it now opens up a host of projects that you can do on your walls. This includes installing shelves, towel rails and picture frames. 

The more advanced use of your skill will lead into hanging dryers on walls using a timber anchor mounted on wall studs. Suffice to say that hanging things on your wall is now a project that you can confidently handle.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects