Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a laundry bench?

StaceyM
Just Starting Out

How to install a laundry bench?

Hi, we're in the middle of a laundry Reno. We've pulled out the trough and mounted cupboards. We're putting in a bench, should I add some bracing around the side and back walls and put the bench on top of the bracing? We'll be attaching it to studs either way but the studs in our whole house are all over the place so I just wanted to make sure it was as secure as possible.

Based on the Bunnings staff members recommendation we got Cabot's cabothane clear satin CFP floor polyurethane to swap the benchtop (Tasmanian oak utility panel). Just checking this is the best option to seal and also going to help prevent damage/scratches. Should we put this on before we install the benchtop or after?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a laundry bench?

Hello @StaceyM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your benchtop installation.

If there are no cabinets below the benchtop then placing timber strips along the wall is the best option to support the benchtop. It's important to make sure that the timber strips are anchored to the wall studs to prevent the benchtop from accidentally sinking should something heavy be placed on top of it.

I propose painting the benchtop first before you install it. In this manner all the edges of the benchtop can be sealed and cut outs can be painted over and you can paint both sides of the benchtop. This will properly seal the benchtop and protect it from the heavy moisture in the laundry.

If you are referring to the Cabot's 4L Clear Water Based CFP Floor Satin, it should provide excellent protection for your benchtop. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your benchtop)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects