Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a new tiled shower hob?

juztang
Just Starting Out

How to install a new tiled shower hob?

Hi everyone my first post. I had a friend help me with my bathroom and unfortunately the angle for the shower floor is wrong and the water slopes towards the floor waste in the middle of the floor. 

I purchased a curbed shower screen which obviously won’t work because of the lean of the floor. 

I’ve had a suggested to me to buy a shower base and build up underneath it so the lean Is correct towards the shower drain but I can’t seem to find a base that would fit the dimensions of where the shower drain is ie the shower drain is 350mm x 350mm and most shower trays has the hole cut at 450mmx450mm.

and I’ve had a plumber suggest that I have someone come in cut out the floor and install a tile over shower hob. 

Sorry for overkill of info. Just a little lost. Any ideas or experience with this would be great. 

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a new tiled shower hob?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @juztang. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a shower.

Could I please request that you upload an image of the current floor as that will really help out knowledgeable members understand what stage you're at. Also, I think we need to unpack why the floor is not sloping towards the drain. Has it been tiled already? Was the shower base not graded correctly toward the drain? Those images will help paint the picture, so let me know if you need assistance uploading them.

You'll find this step-by-step guide useful: How to screed a shower base.

If you intend to use a tile over tray or shower base, they are typically designed for 900 x 900 showers. If you have a 700 x 700mm shower that will likely rule out most preformed trays and you'd need to modify a tile over tray to suit. If you are at the stage of an untiled screened floor, it sounds like the easiest option would be to follow the above guide and grade it accordingly.

I'll be looking forward to those images and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects