Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install shower base and screen?

martinibach
Just Starting Out

How to install shower base and screen?

Hi I’m after advice on installing a shower base and single screen in a new remote build steel frame bath pod with villa board walls and Hardie flooring with aim to use no tiles

-Does the mondello base eg 1200x1000 need to have its lips set into the walls or can it be butted up against them?

-can we use a 1000 long mondello screen on the 1200 mm side and  have 200 stick out for extra length base 

- is micro cement an option to finish off the villa board?

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install shower base and screen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @martinibach. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a shower base and screen.

Just to move back a couple of steps, it's important to know that James Hardie Villaboard can't be used as a standalone product in a shower recess. According to the National Construction Code (NCC), you must then waterproof it and tile over the top. Since this is a requirement, you'll find many shower bases must be mounted and sealed hard against the already waterproofed Villaboard and then the tiles are installed so they come down, and their bottom edge enters the lip of the tray. That way, water runs down the tiles and into the tray instead of trying to penetrate the gap between the tray and the wall.

I'm not entirely familiar with this bath pod you are referring to, but I suggest you contact the manufacturer and/or a licensed waterproofer to establish the correct installation requirements.

I haven't seen a 1000mm wide shower panel, but we do have the Mondella 1175mm Frameless Shower Panel. However, these are designed to be fitted onto tiles, not shower bases. The Mondella shower bases are designed to be used with a semi-frameless shower screen, not the panels.

Regarding your question on micro cement, you'd need to verify with a builder whether that complies with the NCC requirements.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects