Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install shower head with protruding thread too short?

Dee23
Finding My Feet

How to install shower head with protruding thread too short?

IMG_7972.jpeg

IMG_7973.jpeg

I have tried to install a new shower head but the protruding shower thread does not meet the minimum requirement to attach the new shower head.

is there a way that this can be fixed? Can the protruding thread be extended?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Protruding Thread Too Short

Hi @Dee23,

Is it that the protruding thread does not meet the requirement or that there is not enough thread for the showerhead to screw on? As long as you can get a few revolutions of the showerhead on there, that should be enough to secure it. If the showerhead does not screw onto the threaded section at all, then you'd need to extend it.

You could try attaching one of these 15mm threaded extensions, but you might find that your showerhead will not fit flush against the wall, creating another issue. Unfortunately, this is likely a case of needing a plumber to solder on a new threaded section of the appropriate length for the shower head or looking for a new one that suits your current setup. 

The amount of exposed thread is typically all that is required to mount a showerhead. Does your new showerhead have a backing plate of a thickness that makes it impossible to attach to the limited exposed thread? Can you install the showerhead without the backing plate?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects