Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to keep cabinet doors closed?

lego
Finding My Feet

How to keep cabinet doors closed?

We have a little floating cabinet, and when closing the door, it will swing open slowly until it is wide open.

The spring mechanism at the top seems to work perfectly, just won't stay closed.

I can't see an easy way to tighten these hinges or any screws.

Thanks!

IMG_6811.jpeg

IMG_6808.jpegIMG_6809.jpegIMG_6810.jpegIMG_6812.jpeg

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: How to keep cabinet doors closed?

Hello @lego those look like spring assisted door magnets... is there a metal tab (similar to seen below) screwed onto the opposing door surface?

DIYGnome_0-1715895607667.png

I suspect either the tab is missing OR not aligned with the magnet correctly 🤔

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lego,

It's great you've already received some advice from @DIYGnome, who I suspect is correct.

By the looks of it, the spring-loaded door magnets appear to be on backwards. I have circled this below.

If there are corresponding metal plates on the cabinet doors, the fix may be as simple as turning these magnets around.

If this is not possible, there are options to retrofit magnetic catches such as Taskmaster 46mm White Magnetic Door Catch or Taskmaster 38mm White Push To Open Magnetic Door Catch that you might like to consider.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

lego
Finding My Feet

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

So there are no magnets, and I feel like the spring assist is the right way around.. So I assume the magnets you are talking about were never installed.

I'll try these options and hopefully that fixes it!

IMG_6815.jpegIMG_6817.jpegIMG_6818.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lego 

It appears that the metal magnetic catches have fallen out and have disappeared. You can see on your third and final photo that they tried to fix the metal catch with some sort of tape or adhesive which did not last very long.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your cabinet doors fixed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects