Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to open the tap to replace washer?

arahim
Just Starting Out

How to open the tap to replace washer?

Which tool i can use to open the cone shape tap had as shown in the picture. I need to replace the washer to stop the drip water.

IMG20220520170445.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Open the tap

Good morning @arahim 

For the tap handle to be removed you'll need a small plumbing tool. Available from plumbing retailers and Bunnings - it's a rather fragile tool that looks like a miniature angle-grinder spanner...

20220715_084205.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

By trial and error - those two pins fit into a nut - beneath the handle - into corresponding holes. Hold the handle tightly and looking down at the tap - I believe turning the spanner clockwise should undo the handle...

20220715_083905.jpg

Notice my tap - hence I'm extremely keen to hear how you get on. 😁

arahim
Just Starting Out

Hi Noyade,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate. I need to open the lower part cone shape cover as highlighted below. Does this tool help to open it? I saw a video where people just use their handstool.png to open it.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello again @arahim 

Frustrating isn't !?  😁

These are the worst taps I've ever bought.

"Does this tool help to open it?"

No. It just undoes the nut which releases the handle. Never worked for me. Once the handle is off you SHOULD be able to - by hand - remove that conical shaped piece which you've indicated in green. Once that is removed the tap working is revealed where with a spanner or shifter you can remove the top half of the tap revealing the washer - which you wanna replace.

But over time (and this is just my theory), water, soap, dirt and oxidation has made that very large area of thread - bind. It's impossible for me to undo it by hand. I was reduced to the below photo.

Unbelievably, even when I use the multi-grips - it takes off both the cone AND the top half of the tap!

You can insulate the jaws on the multi grips to reduce damage.

So sincere best wishes and good luck! Please came back with your progress - I am very interested! 🤔

Cheers,

Graeme.

And no - WD40 did nothing to help.

Desperate times = desperate measuresDesperate times = desperate measures

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @arahim. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap flange.

It's great that you've already received excellent advice from the knowledgeable @Noyade. As he's mentioned, due to build-up in the thread, removing conical-shaped flanges can be difficult as there is no flat surface to grip onto.

Here are a couple of previous discussions you might like to read through: Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange by @AndrewL and Tap Bonnet dramas by @timjeffries. Our members make several great suggestions within those topics. 

Ultimately, if you can't undo the flange, you might need to turn to more destructive methods. Often these involved scratching the flange or crushing it entirely. As @Noyade mentioned, wrapping tape around the tool's teeth or the flange itself can prevent some damage.

Please let us know how you go using a tool.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That tool works wonders, I've opened mine using this. Now lost as what to do next :unhappy:

Hi @diyer_amature,

Let's continue to work on the issues over in the discussion on Plumbing issue - unable to unscrew faucet flange where you've already posted an image. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects