Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch walls for painting after removing tiles and plaster?

jn119
Just Starting Out

How to patch walls for painting after removing tiles and plaster?

IMG_6082.jpeg

Hi there! I’m mid-way through a laundry renovation and looking for some guidance on how best to patch up 1) the large hole cut into the plaster on the left of this photo where we had some taps removed and 2) the hole and patches where we removed some wall tiles. 
We are getting ready to put a new stone bench on top and not sure the easiest way to get the walls prepped again and ready to re-paint the room 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch walls for painting after removing tiles and plaster

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jn119. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about patching a wall.

The first thing you'll need to do is apply Liquid Nails to some strips of timber and glue them to the back of the plasterboard inside the cavity. This provides a backstop for your new piece of plaster and stops it from falling into the wall cavity. You can then screw your repair section of plasterboard to the timbers. You'll then apply tape and filler around the edges. The same method can be used for the portion behind the tiles. I've created the below rendering for you to illustrate better.

With the previously tiled area, there appears to be tile glue left on the plasterboard. I suspect that might be hard to remove and achieve a smooth surface. If this is the case, you might like to cut out the plasterboard with the glue on it and install larger pieces to repair the area.

We've said this is plasterboard, but given I can't tell for sure on your images and the board does look quite thin, I'd like to add a general asbestos warning. If this is cement sheeting and not plasterboard, you should have it assessed to be sure it is not asbestos before continuing your project. Remember to wear appropriate PPE, including a face mask and safety glasses. If it is asbestos, follow relevant guidelines from government authorities.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

patch.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects