Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plug vanity tap mounting holes?

Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

How to plug vanity tap mounting holes?

I am looking at getting our almost 40yr old vanity top re-glazed by Thermoglaze.  The vanity has holes for Hot + cold + spout in the top but we are looking to go for a mixer style tap.  Does anyone out there know if there are ways/people/companies that can plug the tap holes before we re-glaze?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plugging Vanity Tap mounting holes

Hello @Ask_Itee 

I'm sorry, but I'm currently not aware of a product that will permanently cover the vanity mounting holes. I can only recommend a Kinetic Deluxe Chrome Sink Cover Plate. A lot of customers use this when they are upgrading their vanity from a hot and cold tap to a single mixer. My best advice is to check your new basin mixers size to make sure it will fit into the hole of the vanity.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric, the Sink Cover plates would not be suitable for this type of task, and yes we've checked sizes. 

Whatever we end up using needs to be as flush with the top surface as possible and minimal edge gap so that the re-enamel of the surface can be done.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ask_Itee,

As @EricL has mentioned, I am also unaware of any product that would seal the holes, leaving a flush surface. Have you been provided any advice from the company completing the re-surfacing in regards to suitable options? Perhaps an epoxy filler could be used and sanded flat to the surface. You'd need to check with them to see whether their product would be compatible with an epoxy filler.

Mitchell

Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

HI Mitchell - that seems to be the way I'd need to go, the vanity is from the mid 1980's and I'm not sure what it is made from not how to identify the material - can I ship it to you for your assessment :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

"can I ship it to you for your assessment" The cost of doing so might be a bit prohibitive @Ask_Itee. 😁 You can show me some images, though!

Mitchell

Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

Below are a few pics.  Its hard to determine the material it is made from.  On the top it seems synthetic (plastic coated) while the underside feels ceramic.  If I can ID the material, I can make sure the plug + bonding material are compatible with the construction.material.Ensuite Vanity - top view (Medium).jpg

Ensuite Vanity discharge (Medium).jpg

Ensuite Vanity underside (Medium).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I think it's likely a ceramic basin with epoxy paint sprayed over it @Ask_Itee.  

It would require a substantial amount of time to fill the tap holes and get it perfect. Even then, depending on the thickness of this coating, you might see your filling job through the coating. I'm unsure how much this coating will cost, but have you considered replacing the vanity? Something like the Estilo 900mm Bathroom Vanity With SMC Basin Top And 1 Tap Hole is reasonably budget-friendly. You'd need to measure the width of the space to check what would suit. That would update the entire look of the vanity instead of just refreshing the vanity top.

Mitchell

Ask_Itee
Growing in Experience

HI Mitchell,

Finding something to pug the holes is proving a challenge.  We have looked at new vanities (online and in store), chatted with manufacturers, but they all lack features our existing one has - a lip on the front to stop water running over the front and a short 100mm splashback, deep basin that cuts down splashing onto us.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects