Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a bathtub (drain) sink?

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

How to remove a bathtub (drain) sink?

Hi,

Can anyone advise what tool can I use to loosen / remove an "8-spoke-drain-sink"

IMG_4253.jpgIMG_4254.jpg

I've tried inserting needle-nose-pliers, gripping it with flat nosed pliers for leverage - But cant get this drain to budge?

I look forward to suggestions please.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a bathtub (drain) sink?

Hello @Minitots101

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your bath waste.

The top part of the plug and waste assembly is kept in place with a rubber washer underneath. This rubber washer prevents the top of the assembly from turning. Underneath the top assembly is the plug and waste locking ring. The locking ring is usually tightened with multigrips and prevents the entire plug and waste from slipping. Even if you were able to remove the top part of the waste, you'll still need access to the bottom of the tub to install the new plug and waste.

The proper way to remove it is to remove the side panel of the tub and loosen the locking ring from the bottom of the tub. You'll then be able to turn the top of the waste and remove it from the tub.

I've placed an image below to give you a better idea of its general configuration.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Minitots101
Building a Reputation

EricL - Your feedback is incredible!! and Extremely helpful!! - I am so very very happy you provided me with a detailed account of how to go about doing this project!! - I am confident now, thanks to your feedback & that image of the general configuration, that I can actually do it  - Thank You (one hundred  times over)  - Cheers and also a Happy New Year!! 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Minitots101

Happy New Year! I'm glad my suggestions helped, please let me know if you run into any other issues when you disassemble the waste.

Eric

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Thank you for offering your Help - You truly are Wonderful!! - I will let you know how I go with this project :smile: - Cheers Maria

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Hello Eric

Since that time in January '23, I asked for advice on "How to loosen the locking ring from the bottom of the tub" - Now I am up to that stage.

Please see picture of my locking-ring under the bath tub - What tool do I nbeed to remove, loosen this ring?my locking-ring under my tubmy locking-ring under my tub

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Minitots101 

You've done excellent work in getting access to the bottom of the tub. I suggest using Multigrip Pliers to unlock the giant plastic nut that is holding the bath waste in place. It might be very tight, please make sure you have an extra pair of hands to help you in turning the locking nut.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Minitots101
Building a Reputation

Hello Eric -Thank you for your encouraging words - Yes, I got to it by applying the technique used in the video you sent - How to Remove tiles (my tiles were surrounding the bathtub). I will purchase the Multigrip Pliers - I'm certain the Craftright 250mm Multigrip Plier, will suffice?   Before I do that, I will ask one question, does Bunnings hire out plumbers?  Or recommend a plumber? - Once again and 100 times over - THANK YOU 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Minitots101 

Yes, the Craftright 250mm Multigrip Plier will work just fine. I'm sorry but we don't hire out or recommend plumbers. However, I suggest putting the job on Airtasker or Freelancer. My only tip is to put in as much information as you can about the job so that you get an early reply.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

How to block the drain - Now that bathtub is removed

Hello Eric,

I did it - Thanks to your wise words and great instructions, also D.IY videos - I managed to do it all by myself🙌 Except when loosening the tub-sink - My good neightbour had pliers and came and did this for me🙌

I have move the bathtub and now I need to "block or cap" the drain?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/akpcfgITJro

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bdUsPMQCtBU

Please advise?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects