Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove and replace old shower metal grate?

ryanle
Just Starting Out

How to remove and replace old shower metal grate?

Hi,

I removed the floor tiles and old screed.

The grate looks very old and it seems like that it was attached directly to the waste pipe.

Can someone please advise how I can replace it with new puddle flange and grate?

Also, I removed the old screed to the concrete level. This is a timber subfloor, but I think it has a layer of concrete in the bathroom.

The concrete floor is uneven after demolition, can I screed onto of the uneven concrete floor to create slope to waste, then waterproof on top of the screed? Pls show me the products to do so.

Thanks,

Ryan

ryanle_0-1685948723524.png

ryanle_1-1685948748019.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove and replace old shower metal grate?

Hello @ryanle, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing your old shower grate.

It is possible to remove the old shower grate by using a Multi Tool and a steel cutting blade. However, using the right adapter to attach the new grate will be tricky at best. I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber so that you get the right fitting, and the connection is secure. 

This would also be a good time to have the flange and waste adjusted to the correct height before you fill the cavity in with concrete and self-levelling compound.

Please note it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber and a registered waterproofing agent to complete this work. If in doubt, consult your local building authority before starting.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects