Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove and replace tiles?

kazschab
Just Starting Out

How to remove and replace tiles?

Hi Bunnings

I am looking for the tools to remove a bathroom tile and then replace it with a new tile. can you please advise me all the equipment and tools to carry out this job.

Kind regards

Karen

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove and replace tiles?

Hi @kazschab,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and asked about replacing your bathroom tile and which tools are best for the job. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon but let me tag Workshop members @TedBear and @CSParnell to check if they have some suggestions.  In the meantime, check out this great article Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for some inspiration. 

We would love to see your bathroom transform, please keep us updated with photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove and replace tiles?

Hello @kazschab

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing tiles in your bathroom. Just a friendly reminder that if you damage the waterproofing membrane of your bathroom it will need to be re-applied by a registered waterproofing professional. But if you are only doing one side of the bathroom where there is no waterproofing it will not be necessary to seal this area.

My best recommendation is to cover the appliances in drop sheets and secure them with masking tape so that dust will not go on them. I also suggest covering the entrance with a drop sheet to prevent tile dust from escaping the room and spreading into the connecting rooms. To remove the current tiles in your room I suggest using a rotary hammer drill as they feature a chiselling function.

Please make sure to wear safety equipment such as gloves goggles and a dust mask when working on tiles. I've placed a guide below that will show you all the necessary materials that you'll need to accomplish your re-tiling project.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects