Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove limescale from bathtub?

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

How to remove limescale from bathtub?

Hello,

the bathtub in this old house has a lot of limescale on the side walls. 

The hydrocloric acid can work but I don't know how to make it stick to the side walls long enough to be effective.

I've noticed that if I just drop the acid on the side walls, the acid gets to the bottom of the tub too quickly and becomes almost ineffective. 

Any tips please?

Thanks a mil

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathtun limescale on the side

Hi @ventodimare,

I'd recommend you use a product designed specifically to remove limescale like Hillmark Scalex. Whether you're using a specific product or hydrochloric acid you'll likely need to do a few applications to remove the bulk of the build-up. For the acid, you can apply it with a sponge and dab it over the area, it doesn't take much to start working. You can try a spray bottle too, but the acid will quickly ruin any seals in it.

Also, don't leave the acid on your bath for too long as it will start to etch into the coating.

Please use the utmost care and appropriate PPE with the hydrochloric acid and Scalex. Acid-resistant gloves, safety glasses, long sleeve shirt and pants and a well-ventilated area are all needed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects