Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove shower tap flange?

rhysh
Just Starting Out

How to remove shower tap flange?

Hi All

First time poster, long time stalker.

Our shower head is dripping water even when the taps are turned off tight, and I happen to have some new taps that I would like to install. The problem is though I can't seem to get this flange off to get a look at what's going on. There is an Allen key hole but that only allows the tap handle to be removed. I need to get the rest off but this flange won't budge. Should I attempt it with a strap wrench or could it be glued on with locktite or something? The flange doesn't seem to be attached to the wall, more attached to the tap fitting itself. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

20240323_180725.jpg

20240323_180802.jpg

20240323_180729.jpg

    

20240323_180740.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cannot remove shower tap flange

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rhysh. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap flange.

These conical-style tap flanges are notoriously hard to remove; just have a look at these previous discussions. There are plenty of great tips and tricks that our members have come up with. Since you are replacing them, you're ahead of most as it is much easier than trying to retain the flange as you don't need to worry about damaging the finish. I'd suggest you use a set of multi-grip pliers. Their teeth will bite into the metal and provide the grip needed to turn the flange. You could try a strap wrench, but they typically don't provide the torque or grip needed to budge a seized flange.

You'll also need to remove the hex nut on the end of the spindle in order to remove the flange off the shaft. This pulls straight off, but the spindle can be cut if needed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects