Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove snapped screws inside green plug?

dannyrus
Building a Reputation

How to remove snapped screws inside green plug?

Hi team - the cistern of our toilet fell off for a second time.

The first time, the head snapped off the screws inside the cistern (two screws hold it to the wall) so I had plumbers come in to fix it, but I've now discovered that instead of removing the old green plug and snapped screws, they just screwed a second screw into the wall of the green plug (see photos)... This second screw has also now snapped.

So the original green plug is still there, with the broken screw still in it, and now a second broken screw next to it. 

I need to remove these but have no idea how - I tried a 2mm drill bit into the green plug but I can't get much in there, and no way of pulling the whole lot out as I can't get any purchase on the plug with pliers etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks 🙏

1000004984.jpg

1000004981.jpg

1000004980.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove snapped screws inside green plug?

Hi @dannyrus 

Please note that it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt consult your local building authority before you begin.

In regards to the wall plugs, I propose using locking pliers to hold onto the remaining body of the screw and see if you can twist it out. If that fails, I suggest using a titanium or cobalt drill bit and drilling straight through the broken screws. My only other recommendation is to examine if drilling new mounting points for the cistern is possible.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good evening @dannyrus 

Bugger... And yeah some more of those id say. 

My first option would be @EricL's second suggestion and see if there are other fastening points available to use. The green rawl pplug tends to make me think that the wall is brick or concrete so you should be able to drill somewhere else. Caution on drilling the tile and probarly at least 50mm distance from the old hole I would suggest.

If you want to try and remove those screws I would suggest Trojan Mini Long Nose Plier or something similar with a narrow point but gripable teeth and something that isnt going to mind being mistreated a bit. Then slowly work away at trying to turn the screws counterclockwise. The hole may end up a little bigger and the tile may crack is my main concern. I have removed broken screws before using a combination of stubbed nosed pliers and long nose pliers. The longnose ones grip the screw but fail when you try and turn as the nose is too long so if you can lay your hands on a shord nosed but pointed pair it could work. Patience and time is what it will take. Once you have one out the other hopefully will come out easier. 

I grip the screw point with the pliers perpendicular to the wall (straight out from the wall) and then turn coundterclockwise as much as I can then back a tiny bit then more counterclosckwise. The issues you have is there are two in there. Id really see if you can use a different connection point 😕

Dave

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @dannyrus, I am thinking that since you can't get anything out, would it be possible to drill a hole in each plug and insert a third screw?  If so, use a long, good quality, round or flat head screw and a washer. Those that broke look like they may be wallboard screws, not suitable to take any sideways force, as the cistern will exert. If there is space, you could also add a nylon washer between the cistern and the tiles, which will add grip so the cistern won't be just hanging by the screw's end.

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @dannyrus Here are my two suggestions:

1.Use a 1.5mm Cobalt drill bit to carefully (they break easily but much stronger than HSS) drill into as much of the green plug out in its thickest part top right. With it in constant rotation keep withdrawing the bit to remove theplastic to free the screws. Hopefully, the plus are just the shorter 25mm ones. Don’t worry you slip into the edge of the plug into the tile

2.Use a soldering iron with a large tip fitted on its highest setting and rest it on the screws to soften the plastic enough to pull the screws out. You would need to be quick as the plastic won’t need to cool much to harden. A heat-gun would work just not sure I would take the risk on damaging the tile.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 7.24.17 AM.png
dannyrus
Building a Reputation

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions - Gah, so annoying 😂 - gonna try a few of these, hopefully I can get the dumb things out and put some fresh plugs in.

@EricL and @Dave-1 - if it came to needing new mounting points, I think I'd have to go up instead of sideways, which means I'd have to extend the flush pipe... is that all pretty standard and normal?

Thanks again 🙏

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dannyrus

To move the cistern up, you'd likely need to replace the flush pipe rather than extend it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

"I propose using locking pliers to hold onto the remaining body of the screw and see if you can twist it out."

Hi Eric

Especially using Trojan's High Leverage Pliers. I've had tremendous success with them on snapped screws - provided there is just enough of the remaining screw to grip.

Cheers.

20240510_171544.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects