Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove the base flange of an old tap?

JeffDIY1966
Just Starting Out

How to remove the base flange of an old tap?

Hi i'm a new DIYer

How do I remove the "base flange" to enable me to replace with a new basin top tap assembly.

There are 2 grooves "cut out" is there a specific tool to use to turn the "base flange" to  remove it.

Cheers Jeff

thumbnail_IMG_9365.jpegthumbnail_IMG_9387.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove the base flange of an old tap?

Good morning Jeff @JeffDIY1966 

Just a couple of ideas - after letting WD 40 soak in.

An adjustable angle grinder spanner with the pins located in the notches.

But I suspect they will slip.

20230809_084141.jpg

My preference would be multi-grips with curved jaws for a better grip on the cover. These are a Crescent brand form Bunnings. Lovely product.

Let us know how you get on - success or failure.

20230809_084141 (1).jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JeffDIY1966! We're excited to have you join us and we look forward to seeing your home improvement and garden projects. 

Thank you for your question. Great to see you've received some advice from @Noyade. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to assist once he's back online later today. 

I also suggest having a look at this guide while waiting: How to replace a tap washer

Hope this helps.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JeffDIY1966 

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @Noyade. If you are no longer going to be using the old basin set, I would go with the suggestion of using a Multigrip Plier. This will anchor onto the body of the locking flange and allow you to turn it. 

One other option you can try is to look under the basin and see if the basin set is composed of three separate sets. It's usually the hot, cold and basin tap all linked together with a copper T assembly. The "T" assembly can be removed which will allow you to turn the body of the tap itself. However, if it is a single cast body, you've no choice but to remove the flange from the top.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the old taps disassembled.

Eric

Hi Eric,

here is a photo of the underneath of the sink set.

is this the copper T set that you mention?

there is a hot tap, spout and cold tap sets.

I have a multi grip plier set but I was advised that I could cause damage to the pipes below if the “ locking flange” has seized up!

I haven’t tried any other devices like the strap device.

I bought a basin top tap set which contains tap handles , spindle and flange. However I had to return them as

1. the spindle did not say if it was deep or shallow and I believe I would need a deep seat spindle as well as ? The “ locking flange needs in be removed to allow for a new flange to sit with the new taps!

Will I risk damaging the pipes below if I use the adjustable pliers to force of the “ locking flange “!?

jeff

IMG_9358.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JeffDIY1966 

Thanks for the extra information and photo of your sink. That's exactly what I was referring to which is the copper "T" join. Looking at the photo, I'm afraid there is not enough room to turn the body in that space let alone fitting a tool to do it.

Because the basin set is joined together by the "T", the basin set is quite firm and there should be no issue with you twisting the flange off. However, if you are still worried, I suggest removing the connection of the hot and cold pipes going into the set. In that manner, even if the basin set should twist it will not affect the plumbing underneath.

When you purchase the new basin set, it's a given that the connection to the hot and cold pipes will need adjustment and it might be necessary to cut or add to the copper pipe underneath.

Before proceeding further, it might be necessary to engage a plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, please consult your local building authority.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects