Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a damaged wood countertop?

Scarab
Getting Established

How to repair a damaged wood countertop?

Hi team

Some wood cleaner leaked out of a spray bottle and was left on my laundry wooden counter for some days. Just discovered it and its eaten through the varnish and penetrated the wood. The wood is swollen. Is this something I can resolve and restore to a somewhat original state?

The benchtop is solid wood (not sure what kind) and was varnished with a marine grade polyurethane.

1704721357302398654755203680395.jpg

17047213814338225282716625480182.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I repair a damaged wood countertop

Hi @Scarab 

Hope fully your varnish blocked a  lot of damage to the timber.

The only real solution is to  orbital sand   that varnish and timber back to clean stain free  wood. 

Starting  with 600gt  paper Rough   going to 1200 gt wet and  dry for a  fine  finish and to feather out marine grade polyurethane paint edges.

I am hoping you still have some left over  marine grade polyurethane. to reseal your  lovley table

Rotate the sander  around the damages site as  to try avoid a  depresssion in the table top.

Many thanks Jewelleryrescue. 

If the damage is quite deep, would oxalic acid abd/or a wood hardener work? 

I am not sure re wood filler as I doubt I can replicate the grain or the colour.

Hi @Scarab 

Please dont use any acid or any wood hardener or  wood filler they will not work very  well.

The best  thing to do is sand the bench back to clean timber with an orbital sander this may make a slight  depression in your timber top this can  be filled  with clear epoxy resin at need  then your  polyurethane

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Scarab 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I agree with the suggestion made, sanding the surface back down to timber will be the only way to remove the deep oxide reaction on your countertop.

Oxalic acid is great on timber decking and fencing, but I don't recommend using it on furniture.  

I recommend covering the cabinets and and any other appliances near the area with drop sheets and sealed with masking/painters tape. This will keep the dust off your cabinets and make clean up easy.

I suggest having a look at this step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Scarab
Getting Established

Many thanks @EricL @ for your suggestions too. I plan to get this started during the Australian Day long weekend. Will update on outcomes then. Fingers crossed...

Scarab
Getting Established

Hi again

Thank you for the advice. Orbital sander was much better than handsanding to get through the existing finish and flatten the surface. There was an issue with two raised spots that had become more fibrous from the cleaner.

20240316_155153.jpg

I ended up using wood filler and A wood glue mix to get them hard enough to sand back flat. 

Varnish went on well, though the sanded area looks much brighter as the surroundings which have yellowed over the years.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you've made progress @Scarab.

It would be difficult to match the finish in the surrounding areas. To resolve this you'd really have to sand the whole top back and recoat.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects