Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair chipped floor tiles before painting?

kimmyg
Just Starting Out

How to repair chipped floor tiles before painting?

I want to paint my bathroom and laundry tiles but the tiles have some chips and cracks. What should I use to repair the tiles prior to painting?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair chipped floor tiles before painting?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @kimmyg. We're thrilled to have you join us and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Is it possible to post photos of your bathroom and laundry tiles? This will help our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc and other members get a better idea of the damage on the tiles, enabling them to provide more tailored advice suited for your needs.

Let me know if you need a hand posting photos. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to repair chipped floor tiles before painting?

Hi  @kimmyg 

You might be better of tiling over the top of you old tiles  for the best results as there is no guarantee a fixed  crack wont reopen and it is hard to  reshape damaged tile edges before  painting with a  specialized tile  paint.

Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Coating System

I/N: 1370099

$179

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair chips in floor tiles before painting

Hi @kimmyg,

@Jewelleryrescue is correct that if the existing tiles are not in great shape it might be worth considering a more permanent option. However, if there are just a few odd cracks and chips and if you're looking for a budget refresh, then I see no reason why you couldn't use a filler such as PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. Make sure to only apply enough to fill the chip or crack, as that will make sanding it back flush with the tile surface easier. A scraper will help you apply and push the filler into the areas.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects